Thanks Sully, nice having you.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Thanks Sully, nice having you.

Postby Pens15 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:45 am

Even if we had landed Parise, I wanted to bring Sullivan back for one more year. I think it was dumb to let this guy walk. It's not like his 1.5M salary was going to block anything. Right now we are short a top 6 winger, and that's even with Dupuis slotted in.

You're not going to fine a cheaper, more effective option who can play top 6 and PP. That Sullivan-Crosby-Dupuis line actually looked pretty good.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:02 am

i guess overall, i don't care about this. once sid came back, sullivan wasn't relevant on the PP. and his game 6 turnover still bugs the hell out of me and showed me that he can't handle big boy responsibilities. he was good filler for 80 games, but he's not the answer. i have no idea who is, but it's not him.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:23 pm

shmenguin wrote:i guess overall, i don't care about this. once sid came back, sullivan wasn't relevant on the PP. and his game 6 turnover still bugs the hell out of me and showed me that he can't handle big boy responsibilities. he was good filler for 80 games, but he's not the answer. i have no idea who is, but it's not him.

Whether he's the answer, depends on the question. What he is is a guy with decent skill who would not be terribly out of place on Sid's wing, and a capable PP guy. Name another guy on the market who can fill that role as well as Sullivan for less than 2M.

Right now we're looking at TK or Tangradi in the top 6. I do expect Shero to get another winger, but why couldn't he get another winger and keep Sullivan? More options.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Pens15 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i guess overall, i don't care about this. once sid came back, sullivan wasn't relevant on the PP. and his game 6 turnover still bugs the hell out of me and showed me that he can't handle big boy responsibilities. he was good filler for 80 games, but he's not the answer. i have no idea who is, but it's not him.

Whether he's the answer, depends on the question. What he is is a guy with decent skill who would not be terribly out of place on Sid's wing, and a capable PP guy. Name another guy on the market who can fill that role as well as Sullivan for less than 2M.

Right now we're looking at TK or Tangradi in the top 6. I do expect Shero to get another winger, but why couldn't he get another winger and keep Sullivan? More options.

They don't need someone to fill that role for less than $2 million, so thats irrelevant. They have ample cap space.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pens15 wrote:

They don't need someone to fill that role for less than $2 million, so thats irrelevant. They have ample cap space.

You still want to aim for good value with every signing, even if you have ample cap space. Besides, name a guy who's available who could fill the role for 3M. Name one for 4M? I don't really see any comparables out there.

Even if we had landed Parise, or even if Shero could somehow pull of Bobby Ryan, or if he grabs Shane Doan...even then, I still see no downside to having Sully back for 1.5M, which we could have had.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Pens15 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Pens15 wrote:

You still want to aim for good value with every signing, even if you have ample cap space. Besides, name a guy who's available who could fill the role for 3M. Name one for 4M? I don't really see any comparables out there.

Even if we had landed Parise, or even if Shero could somehow pull of Bobby Ryan, or if he grabs Shane Doan...even then, I still see no downside to having Sully back for 1.5M, which we could have had.

Semin can do everything he did well for the Pens and do it better. If its true that he wants a multi-year deal, then he's out. But on a one year deal, it doesn't hurt them to offer him money.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sheriff66 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Good luck Steve, it was nice having you for a year, thanks for the power play work
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Good luck, Steve!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Yeah, just want to say again how much I don't like the call to let Sullivan walk. People are actually talking about TK and Tangradi in the top 6, and advocating for guys like Wolski. That's what we could be looking at. But for some reason they couldn't be bothered to offer Sullivan one year 1.5M. A move which would have had, literally, no downside. Really a no-brainer, regardless of what other moves get made. Just don't get it. Really don't.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Pens15 wrote:Yeah, just want to say again how much I don't like the call to let Sullivan walk. People are actually talking about TK and Tangradi in the top 6, and advocating for guys like Wolski. That's what we could be looking at. But for some reason they couldn't be bothered to offer Sullivan one year 1.5M. A move which would have had, literally, no downside. Really a no-brainer, regardless of what other moves get made. Just don't get it. Really don't.

I don't disagree. From Shero's conference yesterday, it sounds like he wants to add more size up front. That probably had more to do with the Sully non-signing then anything else...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:45 pm

ivand87 wrote:Jagr wouldn't have been as good, so we won there.

Really can't agree.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Streaks House on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:53 pm

I still can't believe he played in 79 games given his recent injury struggles.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:54 pm

KG wrote:
Pens15 wrote:Yeah, just want to say again how much I don't like the call to let Sullivan walk. People are actually talking about TK and Tangradi in the top 6, and advocating for guys like Wolski. That's what we could be looking at. But for some reason they couldn't be bothered to offer Sullivan one year 1.5M. A move which would have had, literally, no downside. Really a no-brainer, regardless of what other moves get made. Just don't get it. Really don't.

I don't disagree. From Shero's conference yesterday, it sounds like he wants to add more size up front. That probably had more to do with the Sully non-signing then anything else...

Thanks Steve and good luck in desert.. Shero I hope makes some good move finally,because we are worst team,that we were in playoffs.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:37 pm

I don't think the Blue Jackets are a worse team than the Pens were in the playoffs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins