Bobby Ryan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bobby Ryan

Postby Pitts on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 am

I did not know he actually came out and told Anaheim to move him. This article has some pretty harsh quotes:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4365330/

Shero has a trade history with Anaheim. Maybe this is what he's hinting at by stating impact moves can still be made by trade? Ryan would be just as nice (almost) as Parise.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Bobby Ryan

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:28 am

I hope anaheim like defensemen
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:30 am

If the Pens were looking to acquire a big piece via trade, I don't think they would have just given Michalek away.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:38 am

Kraftster wrote:If the Pens were looking to acquire a big piece via trade, I don't think they would have just given Michalek away.

Agreed. Why would Shero let Z go for nothing, when he could use him in a trade for Ryan.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevo on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:46 am

I think i speak for most of LGP posters when I say.......

Eff Bobby Ryan! Parise or bust!
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 am

This is one of the big disconnects...why do people assume that Michalek would have garnered more than this somewhere else? If a team was willing to give a 2nd and a prospect, don't you think he would have went there? He sure as hell wouldn't be welcomed in Anaheim...so I know it's not that...

It doesn't seem like the market for Michalek was that high. Not enough to get a significant asset to use for Ryan. You don't get players like Ryan for second round picks and a 'C' prospects...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:55 am

Stevo wrote:I think i speak for most of LGP posters when I say.......

Bobby Ryan proven 30 + goal scorer, cap hit 5.1 million for the next 3 years. Zach Parise on the open market is going to 8 mil or so per year on the cap. Thats why you look at Ryan. Not sure that Shero has the assets to get Ryan from the Ducks though.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GDR on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:58 am

mikey287 wrote:This is one of the big disconnects...why do people assume that Michalek would have garnered more than this somewhere else? If a team was willing to give a 2nd and a prospect, don't you think he would have went there? He sure as hell wouldn't be welcomed in Anaheim...so I know it's not that...

It doesn't seem like the market for Michalek was that high. Not enough to get a significant asset to use for Ryan. You don't get players like Ryan for second round picks and a 'C' prospects...

The value of Michalek and Martin has been grossly overvalued here. They are overpaid underachievers. Michalek appears to have been a product of the very good Phoenix defensive system and the only value Martin has is to a team trying to get to the cap floor.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:59 am

Product of, or key cog to...notable difference. Different tactics effect different players differently. That can't be understated here.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:22 am

pens_CT wrote:

Bobby Ryan proven 30 + goal scorer, cap hit 5.1 million for the next 3 years. Zach Parise on the open market is going to 8 mil or so per year on the cap. Thats why you look at Ryan. Not sure that Shero has the assets to get Ryan from the Ducks though.

I'd rather have Ryan. Parise has actually seen his production dip quite a bit over the last 2 full seasons that he has played. He will have a tough time meeting his cap hit in terms of production in my opinion.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:43 am

would be awesome to get Ryan,but we dont have a trade assets to do it.. Unless ANA takes Martin and Kennedy :face:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:27 am

steelhammer wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I'd rather have Ryan. Parise has actually seen his production dip quite a bit over the last 2 full seasons that he has played. He will have a tough time meeting his cap hit in terms of production in my opinion.

Lolz, wut? Granted his production was down this year, but he was coming of major injury. Takes time to get back. So he "only" scored 69 points in 82 games this season. Year before, the injury, a washout-6 pts. 13 games.
But the two seasons prior were 2 of his best ever and he only 27. 81 games-82 points and 82 games-94 points.
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:52 am

Pens4Life wrote:would be awesome to get Ryan,but we dont have a trade assets to do it.. Unless ANA takes Martin and Kennedy :face:

What the hell are you talking about?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:05 am

I think any chance to land Ryan went out the window when Staal was traded. There are like 20 teams that are going to be in the mix for Ryan and Nash and we are not in a position to outbid anyone, unless of course the Ducks are willing to take 15 college and AHL bound blueliners in return. On top of that, Ryan has said he wants to play in Philly.

Martin will be gone today. If he doesn't get moved it will be a shame considering every newspaper and "insider" has reported he was being shopped last night.

I'm really hoping we get something more than cap space for Martin after dumping Z for a pick. A Clutterbuck type would be ideal.

All in all, Shero did what he probably wanted to do, move Staal and clear enough cap space for a legit offer to Parise and Suter. I would expect a pick to either Nashville or Jersey for one of their negotiating rights today. It's always a shame when you move up in the draft and then make a pick that doesn't really impress anyone, but you gotta trust RS. If that kid develops into anything close to Morrow I think we will all be happy Ina couple years.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:32 am

I wouldn't mind having Bobby Ryan as a consolation prize, depending on the situation. Ideally, I'd love to see the Penguins get Parise and Suter, but I think that may be tougher to do with the cap space we have. Parise had a one year deal worth 6mil. Suter had a hit of 3.5mil. I'd expect Parise to get 7-7.5mil per year, and Suter anywhere from 5-6.5mil. If they both got the upper end, that is our 14mil in cap space right there. Even moving Martin to free up another 5, we still have Niskanen to resign for probably 1.5-2mil plus round out the 3rd/4th lines. Not saying it is impossible, but Bobby Ryan and Ryan Suter seem more probably than Parise and Suter.

Just an FYI and take it for what it is worth, a poster on TIOPS (not DePaoli) said they attended the draft, and Shero must have went over to talk to Nashville a dozen times. Let's hope it's more than him being friendly with his former organization.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:32 am

pens_CT wrote:

Ryan costs you assets plus money. Parise basically guarantees you 200 goals out of your top 6. The right choice is clear. Get 'em Ray.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby ffemtreed on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:45 am

I actually would like Ryan over Parise because Ryan is more of a grinder and costs less at the moment. I think he fits in better with the team philosophy.

As for a trade, its been all over the place this summer already. Would Despres, Cooke and a pick get it done? How highly do they think of Martin? He was pretty sought after when he was a UFA.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:56 am

I might not of said it like that, but yeah thats pretty much it.

[quoteWould Despres, Cooke and a pick get it done? ][/quote]

Not even close, If Despres was established for sure. But is Anaheim rebuilding or still trying to win??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 pm

no name wrote:
Not even close, If Despres was established for sure. But is Anaheim rebuilding or still trying to win??

That is the big question. They have the names to be winning now, but had a very dissapointing season. Maybe its time to blow that team up.

If their philosophy is building from the D up, then the Pens have a shot at Ryan. If they are just doing some minor retooling and want NHL roster players the Pens are out of the running.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby owtahear on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Pens4Life wrote:would be awesome to get Ryan,but we dont have a trade assets to do it.. Unless ANA takes Martin and Kennedy :face:

No. But how about Orpik and Despres????
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Ossa wrote:
Kraftster wrote:If the Pens were looking to acquire a big piece via trade, I don't think they would have just given Michalek away.

Agreed. Why would Shero let Z go for nothing, when he could use him in a trade for Ryan.

Shero wants to turn back time and erase the signings of Martin and Michalek. So why would he do what you're asking?

First off, we don't know what ALL the plans are for Shero. He obviously has multiple things in the works. Maybe acquire one major player via trade and one via free agency.

Second, who's to say Anaheim views Michalek as appropriate return for Ryan? Martin is still a name in the NHL and a more coveted player.

Martin for Ryan is a very sensible trade. Parise is a guy Anaheim would love and with Teemu unlikely to to come back(did he retire?), Parise fits right in. Anaheim is a defense first team, they love guys like Martin...NJ dmen. A trade centered around Martin/Ryan makes total sense on both sides.

Michalek being let go for nothing now lets the Penguins go after a guy like Suter or Carle.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Everything I read says Selanne is definitely coming back next season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:48 pm

ffemtreed wrote:I actually would like Ryan over Parise because Ryan is more of a grinder and costs less at the moment. I think he fits in better with the team philosophy.

As for a trade, its been all over the place this summer already. Would Despres, Cooke and a pick get it done? How highly do they think of Martin? He was pretty sought after when he was a UFA.

I would prefer Ryan over Parise as well. Price and style. Look, Parise would probably score 40 to 50 goals along Sid, you can't say anything bad about that lol. If Parise comes here, I'll the silliest dance in the world out of joy. However, Ryan is a beast of a player, can score, bang bodies and most important...keep up with Sid.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:48 pm

owtahear wrote:

No. But how about Orpik and Despres????

That would make me sick. Leaves or defense in shambles.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Martin + Bennett + Tangradi + pick for Ryan. That's my offer.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins