Nash, Parise, Suter, or Weber

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who would you sign?

Nash via trade
1%
Parise
69%
Suter
17%
Weber via trade (RFA)
13%

Total votes : 105

Re: Nash, Parise, Suter, or Weber

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 am

Nizzy wrote:
sil wrote:
Nizzy wrote:What are the chances of Setoguchi? Is there some issues with him not liking/fitting into Minnesota that well? Why are there rumors of him being shipped out? How is Minnesota's prospects looking?

We have to be great trading partners with organizations that are thin at defensive prospects. Maatta deal and Kennedy for Seto? :D

Why so eager to move out Maatta? Personally, I'd rather deal away Despres and/or Pouliot before Maatta.

You would rather deal the 6'4" Defenseman French Canadian's are born winners in the NHL over a Fin? I'm happy we have Maatta however he screamed "BPA pick for trade value later" Esposito 2.0 style. Too many defenseman.

:face:

Didn't know Don Cherry had an account here
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 am

I just like to pretend we drafted Maatta at 8, and Pouliot at 22 and then it makes sense in my head.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:52 am

skullman80 wrote:I just like to pretend we drafted Maatta at 8, and Pouliot at 22 and then it makes sense in my head.

That's kind of the way I've forced myself to look at it. I think I would have liked, Forsberg at 8 and then Maata at 22 though lol.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
skullman80 wrote:I just like to pretend we drafted Maatta at 8, and Pouliot at 22 and then it makes sense in my head.

That's kind of the way I've forced myself to look at it. I think I would have liked, Forsberg at 8 and then Maata at 22 though lol.

Yep. I really...REALLY liked Forsberg.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 am

Could we add Bobby Ryan to this list??
ryman1566

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 am

What's the deal with Ott potentially leaving Dallas.
He's such a thug, that I wouldn't mind him, but that's a lot to pay for a 3rd line winger.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:24 am

columbia wrote:What's the deal with Ott potentially leaving Dallas.
He's such a thug, that I wouldn't mind him, but that's a lot to pay for a 3rd line winger.

Would rather inquire with Minny about Cal Clutterbuck, instead. Ott is a ***** and costs too much
ryman1566

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:26 am

Malkamaniac wrote:

But if you take Forsberg at 8 it changes the shape of the draft after. Maybe Washington takes Maata instead.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:27 am

tfrizz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

But if you take Forsberg at 8 it changes the shape of the draft after. Maybe Washington takes Maata instead.

McPhee was quoted as saying they were looking for D until they saw Forsberg was still there
ryman1566

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 am

This FA market is pretty weak for forwards. I hope Shero has Semin's agent on speed dial on Sunday.
They'll have some cash to spend and need to act quickly if Parise isn't interested.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:42 am

columbia wrote:This FA market is pretty weak for forwards. I hope Shero has Semin's agent on speed dial on Sunday.
They'll have some cash to spend and need to act quickly if Parise isn't interested.

Free agent market for top end d men is VERY weak as well....

We are going to see some very mediocre players scoring some heavily inflated contracts come July 1...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:45 am

ryman1566 wrote:Could we add Bobby Ryan to this list??

he certainly wants out of anaheim.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:46 am

penny lane wrote:
ryman1566 wrote:Could we add Bobby Ryan to this list??

he certainly wants out of anaheim.

And we def. have the D prospects to make it happen.....
ryman1566

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:46 am

The thread title should be edited to include Brian Rolston. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 pm

SHERO Y U NO DRAFT PHORZBURG1?!?1?11?!!?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Well agreed to as well there. That being said, the guy they drafted at 8 probably still had a chance to be there at 22. Maata though? Likely not.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:50 pm

my two cents:

The pens will never draft that high (8th) again for at least another 5+ years unless there is some monumental collapse. Knowing this, plus the fact that offensive prospects historically take less time before they are NHL ready then defensive prospects, i would have liked the pens to have drafted a forward at the 8th spot. They would have had a gifted NHL ready or NHL almost ready forward to play with Sid or Geno with the extra benefit of a low cap hit.

Sure there are guys to be had like Parise, or Ryan... but they also carry high cap hits and salary.

You look at the boston bruins, when they won the cup they had all kinds of talent, and they had seguin on an EL contract. They would not have had that luxury without the pick they got for kessel. Had they used that pick on a d-man, they would probably have a talented d-man prospect still developing his game in the minors. It is very similar to the pens situation. Imagine having Forsberg ready to play at camp and also signing Parise. You essentially would get a super talented offensive star at the price of a TK.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:my two cents:

The pens will never draft that high (8th) again for at least another 5+ years unless there is some monumental collapse. Knowing this, plus the fact that offensive prospects historically take less time before they are NHL ready then defensive prospects, i would have liked the pens to have drafted a forward at the 8th spot. They would have had a gifted NHL ready or NHL almost ready forward to play with Sid or Geno with the extra benefit of a low cap hit.

Sure there are guys to be had like Parise, or Ryan... but they also carry high cap hits and salary.

You look at the boston bruins, when they won the cup they had all kinds of talent, and they had seguin on an EL contract. They would not have had that luxury without the pick they got for kessel. Had they used that pick on a d-man, they would probably have a talented d-man prospect still developing his game in the minors. It is very similar to the pens situation. Imagine having Forsberg ready to play at camp and also signing Parise. You essentially would get a super talented offensive star at the price of a TK.

The bolded aren't based in reality.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Well time will tell. Even a year from now would have been nice. The closest thing we have to an offensive prospect that we drafted in the past 5 seasons is Beau Bennett. And i do not see him playing for the pens this year (although it would be nice if he did make it). Nothing against Beau, but that is what you get when you are constantly drafting at the end of the round.

having the 8th pick was a big deal.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson made little progress over draft weekend towards trading right winger Rick Nash.

The Sharks reportedly offered a package that included forwards Ryane Clowe and Joe Pavelski, defenseman Jason Demers and a first round pick, while the Senators are rumored to have pitched left winger Nick Foligno, one of their promising goalies (Robin Lehner or Ben Bishop) and prospect center Mika Zibanejad.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... s-NHL.html

At some point, he's going to have figure out that Nash ain't all that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:06 pm

columbia wrote:
Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson made little progress over draft weekend towards trading right winger Rick Nash.

The Sharks reportedly offered a package that included forwards Ryane Clowe and Joe Pavelski, defenseman Jason Demers and a first round pick, while the Senators are rumored to have pitched left winger Nick Foligno, one of their promising goalies (Robin Lehner or Ben Bishop) and prospect center Mika Zibanejad.

wow. have to wonder what the ducks are looking for from the flyers for ryan. Hopefully it is a kings ransom as well.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:

Well time will tell. Even a year from now would have been nice. The closest thing we have to an offensive prospect that we drafted in the past 5 seasons is Beau Bennett. And i do not see him playing for the pens this year (although it would be nice if he did make it). Nothing against Beau, but that is what you get when you are constantly drafting at the end of the round.

having the 8th pick was a big deal.

I'd rather draft the BPA unless I'm sure of the forward I can get there. This has been discussed. We don't scout Europe thoroughly, it's likely we didn't see a lot of Forsberg or Teravainen (I'm not a huge fan of either of them myself, more anti-the latter), so the 8th overall being a "big deal" as it is, can't just be thrown at the prospect that people only know about because James Duthie said he's the guy that should go here. If Forsberg was ranked 24th, no one would say boo about it here. They wouldn't know the difference. They saw a winger and a number to the left of him and lost control. If there was a can't miss kid there, yeah, why not...but Forsberg and Teravainen are not Shero picks, and they are far from a sure thing. Which is why they fell out of the top 10...and Teravainen fell to near 20.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm

I don't think Howson cares that Nash ain't all that. I would imagine Howson needs to get a ton in return for Nash or he knows that he'll probably never be a GM in the NHL again(which I can't figure out personally how he still is one).
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:12 pm

columbia wrote:

I would have taken the SJ trade in a hot minute. Howson is nuts
ryman1566

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:16 pm

I'd rather draft the BPA unless I'm sure of the forward I can get there. This has been discussed. We don't scout Europe thoroughly, it's likely we didn't see a lot of Forsberg or Teravainen (I'm not a huge fan of either of them myself, more anti-the latter), so the 8th overall being a "big deal" as it is, can't just be thrown at the prospect that people only know about because James Duthie said he's the guy that should go here. If Forsberg was ranked 24th, no one would say boo about it here. They wouldn't know the difference. They saw a winger and a number to the left of him and lost control. If there was a can't miss kid there, yeah, why not...but Forsberg and Teravainen are not Shero picks, and they are far from a sure thing. Which is why they fell out of the top 10...and Teravainen fell to near 20.

Well you are right about one thing, i don't pretend to be smarter than at least the 20 or so different anaylsts that said Forsberg was a better prospect that Pouliot. I should think we are extremely lucky to have the TOP expert on our message board to converse with daily.

Thank you!
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins