Staal Trade Analysis

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Staal Trade Analysis

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Yeah, no name, I tend to agree. I initially thought we would be better keeping Staal here for a year and letting him go. I think I would have preferred that to a deal where we only got a pick and a prospect. It looks like he did well to get a young, cheap, RFA to fill Jordan's hole, and it also seems like carolina is kind of upset with the deal.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:30 pm

He's a Nickelback fan! Get em!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:56 pm

brwi wrote:What may surprise people who are calling him the "ideal 3rd line center" is that his pedigree and game shows that he could be a 2nd line center in the NHL and that he may not be a Penguin for years and years either as he'll run into the same logjam at center as Staal did.

And that may be part of why he's bummed.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 am

He's still a few years away from 2nd line center territory.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 am

By many accounts, Brandon absolutely embraces his role as a 3rd line and shutdown guy. Loves what it entails, loves the competition, loves the type of play and is a leader in doing so...just like his uncle Darryl, not dissimilar players except that Darryl was a left-handed, left winger. But back in his day, wingers had more defensive responsibility...

That's not to say he won't grow into a 2nd liner (though his scoring ceiling doesn't appear to be a whole lot greater...in my opinion, his scoring upside is limited - in fact, I'm impressed with the numbers he's put up already in his career), but he does seem to enjoy his role a great deal, for whatever that's worth...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:21 am

The more and more I look at the Staal trade, we got the best part of the deal because

Sutter gives the pens a real three center model, sutter going to play 16-18 mins a game and love the shutdown role, staal was starting to be more offensive and let his defensive role slip. It gives us more traditional setup which I think we need. Staal was a luxury.

Also the one kid they got in Dumoulin is a beast, was talking with my friend that lives in boston this weekend and he was like the kid is a stud, a rock on defense who will be NHl ready in a few years

If we get either Parise or Suter (or both) ever team in the east has to be sacred, how do you honestly compete especially since we got fluery insurance in voukun now. If we get over our mental block of playing the flyers, we own the east
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:35 am

With Shero, there is never a throw in, he alsways asks for players for a reason. To want Dumoulin over Faulk or Murphy, who they probably could have had by sending back a mid round pick, is telling.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:47 am

Pascal Dupuis was thought to be a "throw in", and while far from an All Star he has killed a lot of penalties, scored a handful of timely goals, and seems to play well with Sid.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:59 am

DelPen wrote:With Shero, there is never a throw in, he alsways asks for players for a reason. To want Dumoulin over Faulk or Murphy, who they probably could have had by sending back a mid round pick, is telling.

I'd have given back 22 to get Faulk. Love Faulk.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Some quotes from Staal.. Yea good move, he definitely wasn't going to sign here

"Getting that offer in the middle of the summer and just being unsure about the ice time and my role on this team … I ultimately wanted to see how the year went and make my decision from there."

"With Sid being out for most of the year, you get that opportunity in that role to be more of an offensive guy. I felt really comfortable in that role, and I really wanted to explore and see if I could do some good things in that role," said Staal.

"The opportunity for me just didn't seem to be there."
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:09 pm

DelPen wrote:With Shero, there is never a throw in, he alsways asks for players for a reason. To want Dumoulin over Faulk or Murphy, who they probably could have had by sending back a mid round pick, is telling.

Carolina said over and over that Faulk wasn't available period and said maybe twice that Murphy wasn't either. THere wasn't a choice of getting either in the first place. Same with Skinner. Rutherford doesn't BS around.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Upgrading a prospect like that doesn't cost a 4th to "even it out"...by that same sentiment, a team could trade us Chad Larose for Brian Strait...or Chad Larose and a 4th for Scott Harrington. It just doesn't make sense. Ryan Murphy is one of the best prospects in the world and Faulk is already an NHL regular at 19. Their value is much different than that of Dumoulin.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins