Goodbye Jordan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Goodbye Jordan

Postby no name on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:43 pm

If it wasn't leaked that Staal wanted to play with his older brother, we could of just let him play and tried to keep talking contract the rest of the year. But knowing that one peice of info forced us to play our hand in offering him a contract, once it was rejected the writing was on the wall and getting all you can get was the only way to go.

Lucky Carolina was in just as much a hurry to get Jordan as we were to get something for him so it all worked out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NeddieVedder on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Pitts wrote:It's more than reasonable to assume that Staal wanted the final year of this contract to see if his role increased with the Penguins before inking a new contract or testing the waters.

Exactly. Because of injuries to all three, Staal never had a chance to play with Malkin or Crosby the last two years even though both were talked about each offseason. It's not unreasonable for him to wonder whether that's what the team had in mind for him or if they were going to play him with Cooke and Kennedy again. Hence, "wanted to see how this year played out" before making such a big commitment. Maybe if Staalkin or Staalsby had had a chance and worked, he would've stuck around for $6m as a fulfilled top sixer. But the timing and uncertainty didn't work out for him and the team so they each moved on.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:07 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:But listen. This punk was planning on playing the whole year, then going into summer as a FA to 'test waters'. You know what. I told Malkamaniac that I hope it doesn't turn into rage and hatred with Staal. I change my mind. I think he tried to screw us over and would have if we didn't trade him. A whole lot of respect from me toward Staal is gone.

I don't understand you rage, or even the logic of it all.

To expect a family to NEVER discuss the idea of brothers playing together at some point is ridiculous. Any family would have such discussions amongst themselves and fantasize about the fun.

As for "screwing the Pens"...how exactly? He was going to honor his contract, then use his CBA mandated right to see what other opportunities were available.

Release the hatred my friend. It's focus in not true.

I think his claim centers around the premise that Staal really had no interest in signing with the Pens. That he was simply leading them to believe he would consider an offer from them when in fact he only wanted sign with Carolina.

That's it. It feels like he wanted to stall, or staal, all season, leaving us screwed in the end. I get a similar feeling I got from Hossa where he didn't tell us what he was doing. We were now supposed to wait for Saint Jordo to make up his mind? Forget it. That is not how you run a hockey club and why Shero was so quick to trade him. Shero really should be patted on the back for what he did.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:29 pm

I don't see how anyone can fault Jordan at all. Not only did he dutifully accept his role as a 3rd line center, he excelled at it without any drama; which is rare for a young, talented, 2nd overall pick. It's completely understandable that he wants an opportunity to develop into a greater role. Barring injuries to Sid and Geno, he wasn't going to have this opportunity on the Pens.

He's paid his dues and almost earned an opportunity to choose a team. The Pens, wisely, chose to part ways now. I have no doubt that had they not, Jordan would have given them his be(a)st.

This is why it makes more sense to have a more experienced third line center who embraces the role. Like many, I fear the Pens have put themselves back in the same position with Sutter who, admittedly, also has greater aspirations than his current role.

I believe Jordan still has superstar potential, especially with the direction the league is going in terms of obstruction, where large puck handlers may once again become very valuable in the playoffs.

Reading criticisms of Jordan, I think that people forget that no one player can master all elements of the game. His developmental focus has been on defense and penalty killing, not offensive skills. As a Staal fan, I'm excited to see how he responds. As a Pens fan, I'm disappointed to see him go. I think it's possible the Pens may have been better overall with a superstar first and second line center than with two superstar first line centers. But time will tell.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:58 am

Carolina's GM called Staal an elite player. Is he? I doubt it. I'm also interested in how good he can get, but I'm about 60 to 40 % convinced that Staal will have a disappointing season. Not only do they not have many good wingers, but if he does play with Eric as a centerman, then there is a problem with that too since Jordan is not a playmaker. Plus, teams will now be able to send their best defensemen against him. It's not that I want Jordan to fail, I still like him even though I'm leaning toward being a bit pissed at him, but I just don't see him as a player that can carry a team offensively and I think that's what they are counting on in Carolina. Their fans seem to be kinda split on the trade. I guess we'll see what happens.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:14 am

Sheriff66 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:You know what this smells to me like? I think his brother talked him into playing in Carolina because they've got nothing going for them, so he gave him all the mumbo jumbo about how nice it would be if they both played together, without giving any thought to what it would mean for Jordan to leave Penguins.

I'm sorry, but I burst out laughing when I read this, carry on

Those are not my words. You read the big quote from the article above and understand he sat down with his mom and his dad and his brother and they talked about it. It seems to me that was a family decision. He's like a little boy where he thinks it will be 'neat' to play with his older brother. He is leaving a great team. A yearly contender. Going to a sucky team that has no chance at the Cup in the immediate future. I think that's a bad call on his part. A different role is one thing, but if he is willing to play wing with Eric, then he should have been OK with that with Sidney and then everything would be hunky dory. Of course that Eric would want Jordan to join him. He may think it will be easier to draw interest from other FAs if Jordan is there, so it is not nearly as simple as saying the two brothers want to be on one team.

Who exactly is he going to play with if not with Eric? I honestly don't see Jordan centering Eric working out. Maybe Jordan will turn into the power winger we always wanted and that would kind of piss me off, if I'm being honest. This is the choice of wingers if he has to center his own line:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/stats.htm
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 am

Jordan will do fine in Carolina, 25+ goals but i don't see superstar numbers. Eric is just hoping his numbers rebound with someone decient. I think Jordan will miss the packed building at CEC and being noticed all over town. I don't think he wil regret leaving, but he will miss a hockey crazed city like Pittsburgh.

Lets face it Carolina don't have much going for them, trying to lure in a UFA would be hard in a limited hockey market like Carolina.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins