Poll: Kris Letang contract offer

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What would you offer Kris Letang on a new deal

Poll ended at Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:51 pm

3 years, 8.5M AAV
30%
5 years, 6M AAV
33%
5 years, 8M AAV
No votes
Trade/leave as UFA
36%

Total votes : 33

Poll: Kris Letang contract offer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:51 pm

Curious as to what the others on the board think the next Kris Letang deal should look like.

If these 4 were the only options on the table, no other variations, which would you choose?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Poll: Kris Letang contract offer

Postby Antonio on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:02 pm

3/7m AAV.

Much as I have detested him at times over the years and felt he was not worth the price, he has actually been pretty solid overall and is producing at a point a game pace. Honestly, insanely idiotic as his lapses are, frankly I would rather have his stupidity than Malkin's at this point because I think the latter has a bigger deleterious impact on the team overall compared to Letang. I would have to pick the first I guess if I HAVE to pick one, but I would not pay 8.5. 8 tops for 3 years....maybe.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dynasty1970 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:08 pm

3@5-5.5M tops.
Dynasty1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:15 pm

Well there is no trade option unless you believe this team will collapse and they're out of the playoff picture come trade deadline. I suspect he leaves as a free agent. He's not giving the Pens a discount, and is probably looking for 8.5 -9 million for 5 years on the open market.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:39 pm

I'd be ok with 4 years at $8.25
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:48 pm

pens_CT wrote:Well there is no trade option unless you believe this team will collapse and they're out of the playoff picture come trade deadline. I suspect he leaves as a free agent. He's not giving the Pens a discount, and is probably looking for 8.5 -9 million for 5 years on the open market.

This is the exact reason I made this poll. I will start with the much needed disclaimer that I AM NOT a Letang hater.

1. Kris Letang is almost 35. Not almost 25. These big contracts being thrown around to defensemen (Jones, Hamilton, Nurse, etc) are for guys in their prime of their careers, not guys that are in their mid 30's. The highest contract paid recently to a defensemen in their 30's was Roman Josi's 8 year, 9.059M AAV deal. He was 29 when the deal was signed, 30 when it kicked it.

2. In the past 10 years, there have been exactly TWO 35+ contracts signed for defensemen that were 6M or over. One was Kimo Timmonen taking a 1 year deal worth 6M AAV at age 38. Timmonen was a good defensemen, but I'd say this was a grand overpay by the Flyers. Even so, it was still 333K less than his previous cap hit of 6.33M AAV. Lidstrom twice signed 6.2M one year deals. This was also a paycut from Lidstrom's previous deals.

3. In line with the above reasons...I don't see how people (and there are a lot of armchair fans out there on Twitter/CapFriendly/etc that think this way) think Letang is going to be given his preferential term AND his preferential $$$. Typically, you get one or the other. If salary is important, and the Penguins become the 1st outlier in the salary cap era to give a 35 year old defenseman a cap INCREASE, then he should not be getting his preferred term as well. One or the other. If it turns out that he gets both, Hextall is the dumbest GM in the NHL and I will vehemently stand by that.

There's just no precedent for what people think Letang is going to ask for or get. And I'll add that, I'm not even paying attention to re-signs or UFA deals. When I say no defensemen in the salary cap era have gotten a raise on their next deal, that means re-sign OR UFA. None. I like Kris Letang, I think he is a top 5-10 defensemen in this league over the past 10 plus years. But I don't think there is anyone outside of Pittsburgh that is going to say Kris Letang is THE TOP defenseman of the last 10 years. He may be in that conversation, but it would never be unanimous. And I just don't see Kris Letang as the guy who is going to break the trend of getting more money on a 35+ deal.

I think 3 years, 7M AAV would be fair, and if he really prefers 5 years, then it would 5 years, 6M AAV.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:50 pm

Dynasty1970 wrote:3@5-5.5M tops.

This has to be sarcasm.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:56 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Well there is no trade option unless you believe this team will collapse and they're out of the playoff picture come trade deadline. I suspect he leaves as a free agent. He's not giving the Pens a discount, and is probably looking for 8.5 -9 million for 5 years on the open market.

This is the exact reason I made this poll. I will start with the much needed disclaimer that I AM NOT a Letang hater.

1. Kris Letang is almost 35. Not almost 25. These big contracts being thrown around to defensemen (Jones, Hamilton, Nurse, etc) are for guys in their prime of their careers, not guys that are in their mid 30's. The highest contract paid recently to a defensemen in their 30's was Roman Josi's 8 year, 9.059M AAV deal. He was 29 when the deal was signed, 30 when it kicked it.

2. In the past 10 years, there have been exactly TWO 35+ contracts signed for defensemen that were 6M or over. One was Kimo Timmonen taking a 1 year deal worth 6M AAV at age 38. Timmonen was a good defensemen, but I'd say this was a grand overpay by the Flyers. Even so, it was still 333K less than his previous cap hit of 6.33M AAV. Lidstrom twice signed 6.2M one year deals. This was also a paycut from Lidstrom's previous deals.

3. In line with the above reasons...I don't see how people (and there are a lot of armchair fans out there on Twitter/CapFriendly/etc that think this way) think Letang is going to be given his preferential term AND his preferential $$$. Typically, you get one or the other. If salary is important, and the Penguins become the 1st outlier in the salary cap era to give a 35 year old defenseman a cap INCREASE, then he should not be getting his preferred term as well. One or the other. If it turns out that he gets both, Hextall is the dumbest GM in the NHL and I will vehemently stand by that.

There's just no precedent for what people think Letang is going to ask for or get. And I'll add that, I'm not even paying attention to re-signs or UFA deals. When I say no defensemen in the salary cap era have gotten a raise on their next deal, that means re-sign OR UFA. None. I like Kris Letang, I think he is a top 5-10 defensemen in this league over the past 10 plus years. But I don't think there is anyone outside of Pittsburgh that is going to say Kris Letang is THE TOP defenseman of the last 10 years. He may be in that conversation, but it would never be unanimous. And I just don't see Kris Letang as the guy who is going to break the trend of getting more money on a 35+ deal.

I think 3 years, 7M AAV would be fair, and if he really prefers 5 years, then it would 5 years, 6M AAV.

I think that if he really wants the 8.5-9 mil range it is going to have to be with a non-playoff team that has cap room and wants his name t sell tickets. That team may very well be Montreal. But, I'm not convinced Letang wants to play for a loser. Hoping once he thinks it through and looks at the market, and precedent, he comes to his senses and works with the Pens. He won't get a better opportunity at winning much of anywhere else.

With all that said, he will sign with Washington to play with Fleury (trade and re-sign) and the rest of the ex-Cup Pens next year! LOL

For the record, I hope beyond hope that MAF would never do that to Pen's fans.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dynasty1970 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:51 pm

Pitts wrote:
Dynasty1970 wrote:3@5-5.5M tops.

This has to be sarcasm.

No, to give him more than three years is Crazy. If they don’t go DEEP this post season I got news for ya…….they are not going to improve in the next 2-3 years so that puts them in the rebuild mode. That’s just a fact. So to mortgage your future with a 5 year deal at a crazy number with no hope of going DEEP during that contract is really pretty stupid.
I like Tanger as much as he drives me crazy, he’s like that crazy uncle, but you can’t throw money at him and then 5 years later be like “wow, I’m glad this is the last year of Tangers contract” GMJR is no longer with the team so out with the lame contracts!
Dynasty1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:55 pm

I voted to let Letang walk. I remember when the Pens won a cup without Letang, he's replaceable.

I think Malkin will be next to sign.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:19 pm

3yrs@8mil maximum on term and $$$. If he wants more and/or for longer, there are some non-contending hockey teams that have the cap space to give it to him and maybe a couple of not so bad teams that will.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:19 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

To be fair Lidstrom's last contract was signed when he was 40 not 35. His contract which you mentioned was 6.2 million against a 64.3 million cap at the time. If you use the same cap percentage today for a Letang deal that would be 7.85 million. Not saying that's what they should offer or whether its something he would accept, but I think the contract term might eventually be the sticking point.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dynasty1970 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:24 pm

Letang as good as he is, is not Lidstrom. Lidstrom was getting back pay for his years of service too I believe.
Dynasty1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:31 pm

Dynasty1970 wrote:Letang as good as he is, is not Lidstrom. Lidstrom was getting back pay for his years of service too I believe.

No he's not Lidstrom, but you can't say well Lidstrom took a pay cut at age 39/40 so why doesn't Letang. Lidstrom also had his existing salary cut by 24% in 2005-06 after the lockout which was the norm for existing contracts prior to the incorporation of a salary cap. Again I think he walks at the end of the season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:21 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I voted to let Letang walk. I remember when the Pens won a cup without Letang, he's replaceable.

Right there with you.

Malkin said he's wealthiy now so my guess is he's not wanting a big contract. If he does he can walk too.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:33 pm

Steve Dave wrote:I'd be ok with 4 years at $8.25

Too long for too much..

3 years / 7M tops
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:45 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Dynasty1970 wrote:Letang as good as he is, is not Lidstrom. Lidstrom was getting back pay for his years of service too I believe.

No he's not Lidstrom, but you can't say well Lidstrom took a pay cut at age 39/40 so why doesn't Letang. Lidstrom also had his existing salary cut by 24% in 2005-06 after the lockout which was the norm for existing contracts prior to the incorporation of a salary cap. Again I think he walks at the end of the season.

Yes, I understand that 6.2M in Lidstrom's timeframe was more like 7-8M in today's cap world. And I know that he had a forced reduction due to the cap rollback. But since that cap rollback, every contract since then got lower in cap hit as he got older.

The other point is Lidstrom is one of THREE...THREE total guys in the entire cap era that made more than 6M AAV at 35 or over. And nobody with pay increases (at least on defense...pretty sure the number at forward can probably be counted on one hand, too).

IT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN! (not yelling at you, just making the point) I get that he's the best defensemen this team has ever had, maybe sans Coffey (and I think Letang is better at defense than Coffey). But in the bigger scheme of things, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid, Lidstrom, Bourque, Roy, Brodeur...those are the type of generational talents that can maybe break the system and do something contract wise that hasn't been done. I don't see Letang at that level. Not even close.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:00 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Yes, I understand that 6.2M in Lidstrom's timeframe was more like 7-8M in today's cap world. And I know that he had a forced reduction due to the cap rollback. But since that cap rollback, every contract since then got lower in cap hit as he got older.

The other point is Lidstrom is one of THREE...THREE total guys in the entire cap era that made more than 6M AAV at 35 or over. And nobody with pay increases (at least on defense...pretty sure the number at forward can probably be counted on one hand, too).

IT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN! (not yelling at you, just making the point) I get that he's the best defensemen this team has ever had, maybe sans Coffey (and I think Letang is better at defense than Coffey). But in the bigger scheme of things, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid, Lidstrom, Bourque, Roy, Brodeur...those are the type of generational talents that can maybe break the system and do something contract wise that hasn't been done. I don't see Letang at that level. Not even close.

If you're Hextall and over the next month its obvious that a contract extension isn't going to happen, do you consider moving him to Montreal for someone like Petry, versus hanging on to him and getting nothing at the end of the season.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:38 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

If you're Hextall and over the next month its obvious that a contract extension isn't going to happen, do you consider moving him to Montreal for someone like Petry, versus hanging on to him and getting nothing at the end of the season.

I would consider it, but I doubt they will. My only reason for considering it is it would be tough seeing Letang AND Rust walk for nothing. Then trying to replace them both in a cap tight year. Then again, if Letang tells Pittsburgh he wants 5 years and 9M AAV, why would Hughes trade us Petry when he knows he can likely get Letang for no assets in the summer.

I asked Dejan what he thinks a Letang contract with Pittsburgh would look like. He said 3 years and somewhere right around his current cap hit (guess that could be slightly more or less). He also said that with Hughes in Montreal that they can easily blow that out of the water, so that will complicate things.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:00 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I would consider it, but I doubt they will. My only reason for considering it is it would be tough seeing Letang AND Rust walk for nothing. Then trying to replace them both in a cap tight year. Then again, if Letang tells Pittsburgh he wants 5 years and 9M AAV, why would Hughes trade us Petry when he knows he can likely get Letang for no assets in the summer.

I asked Dejan what he thinks a Letang contract with Pittsburgh would look like. He said 3 years and somewhere right around his current cap hit (guess that could be slightly more or less). He also said that with Hughes in Montreal that they can easily blow that out of the water, so that will complicate things.

The only reason Montreal would consider it is for cap reasons. I didn't look at their numbers but can they add Letang without moving out some money?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:10 pm

Possibly. Really depends on what is happening with Weber. I thought I heard he is done which would mean he's a constant LTIR for the next few years.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:12 pm

Short answer on Montreal is they won't have the cap space. They already have Weber and Petry both over 6M on the right side and I can't see anyone wanting those deals without a considerable sweetener
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby alancac98 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:24 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I voted to let Letang walk. I remember when the Pens won a cup without Letang, he's replaceable.

Right there with you.

Malkin said he's wealthiy now so my guess is he's not wanting a big contract. If he does he can walk too.

I'm sorry, but I want the Pens moving on from Malkin. I have seen too many years where the team is humming while he is injured and then look as if they fall off a cliff upon his return - too much of a trend!
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:52 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Short answer on Montreal is they won't have the cap space. They already have Weber and Petry both over 6M on the right side and I can't see anyone wanting those deals without a considerable sweetener

The thing about the Weber deal, its one of those old contracts that were front-loaded. So he's only due 6 million in salary in total for the last four years of the contract. His contract probably gets moved to a team that isn't going to get to the cap floor. You get 7.85 million in cap hit for a relative cheap salary.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ahawk9 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:18 am

I wonder if Letang - who seems to love it in Pittsburgh - still might want to go play in his hometown for a few years anyway. The new GM, his childhood team, his hometown, all big draws (maybe). Even though the Habs stink right now, he could be seen as a leader for the rebuild. It'll be interesting for sure. I've had issues with his mental game for years (I call them Tanger Issues), but he's been more than solid lately, hasn't lost any of his mobility, and would be tough to replace. I'd hoped Marino would step into that role - he still might - but he's evened out since he burst onto the scene.

I do think that if he does want a raise that they have to let him walk. I'm certain they will not move on from Malkin, so Kris seems like the one who will leave. Guys who eat minutes and have a skillset like Letang aren't easy to find, but overall, I think there are (cheaper, younger) ways to move on from him if he wants to go.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins