Penguins summer and 21-22 roster decisions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Penguins summer and 21-22 roster decisions

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:17 am

I found this comment interesting from Corey Pronman of the Athletic regarding the 2022 NHL draft "Early indicators are that 2022 looks like a below-average draft class. This is the opinion shared among most NHL personnel as well." Who knows how it really turns out, obviously it will take a few years to judge it, but if you're Hextall and want to improve this team it will be interesting to see whether this impacts if the Pens 1st round pick might be in play for the right asset?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:12 pm

pens_CT wrote:I found this comment interesting from Corey Pronman of the Athletic regarding the 2022 NHL draft "Early indicators are that 2022 looks like a below-average draft class. This is the opinion shared among most NHL personnel as well." Who knows how it really turns out, obviously it will take a few years to judge it, but if you're Hextall and want to improve this team it will be interesting to see whether this impacts if the Pens 1st round pick might be in play for the right asset?

That's very interesting, because ahead of the 2021 draft, they were saying 2021 was a rather week draft class, but 2022 was going to be a strong draft class, one of the better ones in the past several years. That's why a bunch of teams loaded up on draft picks for 2022 and last year, when some trades were being made, you saw more trades for 2022 draft picks rather than the upcoming 2021 class, because the consensus was 2022 would be a strong class.

How much did some teams load up for 2022?
--Arizona owns 3 1sts, and 5 2nds for 2022
--Buffalo owns 3 1sts and a 2nd for 2022
--Ottawa owns a 1st, 2 2nds, and 3 3rds for 2022
--Chicago has a 2nd and 3 3rds for 2022
--Montreal has a 1st, a 2nd, and 3 3rds for 2022

Yes, these are mostly bottom feeder teams, but they loaded up on this draft because it was supposed to be good.

So, I'm puzzled by statements now that it might be a below average class.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:18 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:I found this comment interesting from Corey Pronman of the Athletic regarding the 2022 NHL draft "Early indicators are that 2022 looks like a below-average draft class. This is the opinion shared among most NHL personnel as well." Who knows how it really turns out, obviously it will take a few years to judge it, but if you're Hextall and want to improve this team it will be interesting to see whether this impacts if the Pens 1st round pick might be in play for the right asset?

That's very interesting, because ahead of the 2021 draft, they were saying 2021 was a rather week draft class, but 2022 was going to be a strong draft class, one of the better ones in the past several years. That's why a bunch of teams loaded up on draft picks for 2022 and last year, when some trades were being made, you saw more trades for 2022 draft picks rather than the upcoming 2021 class, because the consensus was 2022 would be a strong class.

How much did some teams load up for 2022?
--Arizona owns 3 1sts, and 5 2nds for 2022
--Buffalo owns 3 1sts and a 2nd for 2022
--Ottawa owns a 1st, 2 2nds, and 3 3rds for 2022
--Chicago has a 2nd and 3 3rds for 2022
--Montreal has a 1st, a 2nd, and 3 3rds for 2022

Yes, these are mostly bottom feeder teams, but they loaded up on this draft because it was supposed to be good.

So, I'm puzzled by statements now that it might be a below average class.

I wonder if COVID in 2020-21 which really played havoc with the junior's seasons has retarded the development of some of the prospects eligible for the draft this year?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dark_forces on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:56 pm

Looking again at the overall roster picture, as we move toward the playoffs.
The #1 need, I think, is a better backup goalie. I listened to Madden & Yohe yesterday and both agreed that their #1 need is a veteran backup. Yohe used the Vokoun analogy, and said this team is too good to let lackluster goaltending get in the way.
So, my question is "Who's a realistic option?" Would they go Khudobin - after all, the cost to acquire him shouldn't be crazy since he was already waived, but would likely require some salary retention. Would his presence be enough to ease any goalie concerns?
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:33 pm

dark_forces wrote:Looking again at the overall roster picture, as we move toward the playoffs.
The #1 need, I think, is a better backup goalie. I listened to Madden & Yohe yesterday and both agreed that their #1 need is a veteran backup. Yohe used the Vokoun analogy, and said this team is too good to let lackluster goaltending get in the way.
So, my question is "Who's a realistic option?" Would they go Khudobin - after all, the cost to acquire him shouldn't be crazy since he was already waived, but would likely require some salary retention. Would his presence be enough to ease any goalie concerns?

I think they could target in three areas in this order of importance.

(1) Back-up goalie. Khudobin would be a target, the question is how much does he have left in the tank, and that he's under contract for another year.
(2) A bigger d-man, since all of ours are roughly the same size and none are overly physical.
(3) Could you upgrade on Kapanen, Zucker, or Rodriques to give you more depth scoring. Could you move either Kapanen or Zucker + futures to upgrade for the playoffs.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:53 pm

pens_CT wrote:
dark_forces wrote:Looking again at the overall roster picture, as we move toward the playoffs.

(1) Back-up goalie. Khudobin would be a target, the question is how much does he have left in the tank, and that he's under contract for another year.
(2) A bigger d-man, since all of ours are roughly the same size and none are overly physical.
(3) Could you upgrade on Kapanen, Zucker, or Rodriques to give you more depth scoring. Could you move either Kapanen or Zucker + futures to upgrade for the playoffs.

Backup goaltender is a must based on DeSmith's play this season. Madden and Yohe aren't exactly going very deep here.

I think Kapanen and Zucker definitely need to be explored to see what's out there for interest.

When did Rodrigues get a q in his name?
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:18 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Backup goaltender is a must based on DeSmith's play this season. Madden and Yohe aren't exactly going very deep here.

I think Kapanen and Zucker definitely need to be explored to see what's out there for interest.

When did Rodrigues get a q in his name?

Just wanted to see if the spelling/grammar cops are still doing their job.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:59 pm

2 more goals for Nylander. His 11th and 12th.
Puustinen also scores his 12th.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:31 pm

ville5 wrote:2 more goals for Nylander. His 11th and 12th.

> Simon.

Call him up.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Posterboy on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:53 pm

I noticed POJ has 16 pts in 24 games and is a +9. Not sure why there seems to be a narrative that the current management is down on him. Those seem like pretty decent numbers to me.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:30 am

Posterboy wrote:

I noticed POJ has 16 pts in 24 games and is a +9. Not sure why there seems to be a narrative that the current management is down on him. Those seem like pretty decent numbers to me.

Those are good numbers, but, it's much harder to judge a defensemen just by looking at point production. He's not thought of being a huge point producer at the NHL level. His consistency is what has been a question. From what I have heard, he hasn't done enough to even push his way into a conversation for the NHL level...although haven't heard anything new in a month or two.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:28 am

murphydump55 wrote:

> Simon.

Call him up.

That isn't going to happen. Sully loves him some Simon.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:42 pm

At this point I’d be happy with Anton Forsberg at backup. He ranks among the best in Goals saved above expected and would be an upgrade on DeSmith. They’re going to burn Jarry out, they need to address this.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:49 pm

murphydump55 wrote:At this point I’d be happy with Anton Forsberg at backup. He ranks among the best in Goals saved above expected and would be an upgrade on DeSmith. They’re going to burn Jarry out, they need to address this.

I wasn't very keen on him before, but I'm starting to think Reimer might be a good option. Ideally, I'd like to see someone who has a fair amount of games under their belt, and has played at least a half dozen NHL playoff games in their career.

Holtby and Halak would be my first 2 choices, but Dallas is only 4 points out of a WC spot with 4 games in hand on SJ. Probably doubtful they move him unless they really struggle over the next month. Friedman had seemed to indicate that Halak doesn't want to move, even for a chance to go to a contender. Fleury is not a realistic option, as his cap hit is too high, the price to acquire will be high, and if you "wash" him through a 3rd team to get his cap hit even lower that just raises the price.

Jarry is now tied with Vasilevskiy for 2nd most games played this season. Hextall needs a solution quickly. I don't like Domingue as that long-term, rest of season option, and I am skeptical he returns this season with a potential broken foot. Filip Lindberg has been out for quite some time in WBS with an ankle injury. Foot/ankle injuries for goalies are much tougher to cover from due to the nature of their position. DeSmith has clearly lost the faith of the coaching staff.

Do something now. Edmonton is said to be looking hard at goalies as well. Get the right guy and the right fit.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:11 am

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:At this point I’d be happy with Anton Forsberg at backup. He ranks among the best in Goals saved above expected and would be an upgrade on DeSmith. They’re going to burn Jarry out, they need to address this.

I wasn't very keen on him before, but I'm starting to think Reimer might be a good option. Ideally, I'd like to see someone who has a fair amount of games under their belt, and has played at least a half dozen NHL playoff games in their career.

Holtby and Halak would be my first 2 choices, but Dallas is only 4 points out of a WC spot with 4 games in hand on SJ. Probably doubtful they move him unless they really struggle over the next month. Friedman had seemed to indicate that Halak doesn't want to move, even for a chance to go to a contender. Fleury is not a realistic option, as his cap hit is too high, the price to acquire will be high, and if you "wash" him through a 3rd team to get his cap hit even lower that just raises the price.

Jarry is now tied with Vasilevskiy for 2nd most games played this season. Hextall needs a solution quickly. I don't like Domingue as that long-term, rest of season option, and I am skeptical he returns this season with a potential broken foot. Filip Lindberg has been out for quite some time in WBS with an ankle injury. Foot/ankle injuries for goalies are much tougher to cover from due to the nature of their position. DeSmith has clearly lost the faith of the coaching staff.

Do something now. Edmonton is said to be looking hard at goalies as well. Get the right guy and the right fit.

With SJ currently in a WC spot ( I know teams below them have games in hand) it would seem unlikely that they would move Reimer anytime soon. In a month or so that might be a different situation, but are the Pens in a position to wait that long? If you want someone now, Ideally you would look at the teams who are hopelessly out of the race, but there aren't really good options there. You left out Khudobin from the Stars who's number 3 there, the question is whether he has anything left in the tank at age 35. Maybe Martin Jones from the Flyers assuming you could get a third team involved to facilitate the trade?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

With SJ currently in a WC spot ( I know teams below them have games in hand) it would seem unlikely that they would move Reimer anytime soon. In a month or so that might be a different situation, but are the Pens in a position to wait that long? If you want someone now, Ideally you would look at the teams who are hopelessly out of the race, but there aren't really good options there. You left out Khudobin from the Stars who's number 3 there, the question is whether he has anything left in the tank at age 35. Maybe Martin Jones from the Flyers assuming you could get a third team involved to facilitate the trade?

Yeah, I'm not high on Khudobin. His numbers, in almost same number of games as DeSmith, are slightly worse than DeSmith. That won't help us. In the past 8 years, Khudobin has had only 3 seasons with a SV% above .910. He essentially had two or 3 good seasons sandwiched in the middle of a bunch of sub-par seasons. At his age, I wouldn't gamble that he isn't trending down.

SJ might be where they are now, but at the same time, I don't think SJ expects to be a playoff team. I look at their roster and see a couple of overpriced defensemen, two good players in Meier and Hertl, and not a whole lot else. But overall, the problem is there really isn't much of anything worthwhile goaltending wise on the teams that are clearly out of the picture already. I'd take Jake Allen, but I highly doubt Montreal is going to move him, playoffs or not. I'd take Halak but he doesn't want to move.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Yeah, I'm not high on Khudobin. His numbers, in almost same number of games as DeSmith, are slightly worse than DeSmith. That won't help us. In the past 8 years, Khudobin has had only 3 seasons with a SV% above .910. He essentially had two or 3 good seasons sandwiched in the middle of a bunch of sub-par seasons. At his age, I wouldn't gamble that he isn't trending down.

SJ might be where they are now, but at the same time, I don't think SJ expects to be a playoff team. I look at their roster and see a couple of overpriced defensemen, two good players in Meier and Hertl, and not a whole lot else. But overall, the problem is there really isn't much of anything worthwhile goaltending wise on the teams that are clearly out of the picture already. I'd take Jake Allen, but I highly doubt Montreal is going to move him, playoffs or not. I'd take Halak but he doesn't want to move.

I'm with you on San Jose not being a playoff team, however they're currently in that position, and do you need to overpay for the Sharks to make a deal now? The question is how long is Hextall willing to wait to make a move? I'd guess that Sullivan starts DeSmith Thursday against Seattle. If his play doesn't pick up big time in that game against an expansion team is that enough evidence that Hextall needs to make a move?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:47 am

FLPensFan wrote:

Yeah I mentioned Reimer as a candidate a while back. I’d obviously take him before Forsberg.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 am

Wonder if Zucker would agree to a trade to Chicago? They still have Kane and Toews thru next year signed so you would think he’d play with one of them. Chicago then has a pending UFA for next year too to move at the deadline for more assets. Getting back Fleury (if DeSmith is added to the trade and maybe some retention by the Hawks plus a pick/prospect from us to make the math work) or straight up for DeHaan would be good for us, but would take the market drying up for the Hawks on both players and needs Zucker to agree depending on his MNTC.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:22 am

DelPen wrote:Wonder if Zucker would agree to a trade to Chicago? They still have Kane and Toews thru next year signed so you would think he’d play with one of them. Chicago then has a pending UFA for next year too to move at the deadline for more assets. Getting back Fleury (if DeSmith is added to the trade and maybe some retention by the Hawks plus a pick/prospect from us to make the math work) or straight up for DeHaan would be good for us, but would take the market drying up for the Hawks on both players and needs Zucker to agree depending on his MNTC.

I'm probably delusional but I would keep Zucker for the balance of this season, hopefully he stays healthy and becomes more like the player that showed up in that jersey during the Vegas game. I'd rather wait and hope that he will plays better and improves his trade value in the off season instead of trading him now at the low point. They need Zucker to perform like a top-six winger if they plan on this year's playoffs being more than a one and done repeat of the last three seasons.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:41 am

DelPen wrote:Wonder if Zucker would agree to a trade to Chicago? They still have Kane and Toews thru next year signed so you would think he’d play with one of them. Chicago then has a pending UFA for next year too to move at the deadline for more assets. Getting back Fleury (if DeSmith is added to the trade and maybe some retention by the Hawks plus a pick/prospect from us to make the math work) or straight up for DeHaan would be good for us, but would take the market drying up for the Hawks on both players and needs Zucker to agree depending on his MNTC.

I don't think Zucker and a prospect for Fleury with retention will be the best offer they receive. I think they know the goalie market is extremely limited and they have probably the top (albeit expensive) guy available. You think about other rentals like an Iginla or another high profile UFA...Fleury very possibly could pull in a 1st rounder to the right team.

The other piece is, I think Chicago is still looking to rebuild further, as there reports a day or so ago from Seravalli and Friedman that all but 3 players (I cannot find the 3 again) were said to be available from Chicago, and specifically mentioned DeBrincat, Kubalik, and Hagel as guys that WERE AVAILABLE...which shocked a lot of people. Zucker has term next year, while Fleury (and De Haan) are both UFA), so adding another year of high cap hit may take up precious cap space planned for other players.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:11 am

FLPensFan wrote:

I don't think Zucker and a prospect for Fleury with retention will be the best offer they receive. I think they know the goalie market is extremely limited and they have probably the top (albeit expensive) guy available. You think about other rentals like an Iginla or another high profile UFA...Fleury very possibly could pull in a 1st rounder to the right team.

The other piece is, I think Chicago is still looking to rebuild further, as there reports a day or so ago from Seravalli and Friedman that all but 3 players (I cannot find the 3 again) were said to be available from Chicago, and specifically mentioned DeBrincat, Kubalik, and Hagel as guys that WERE AVAILABLE...which shocked a lot of people. Zucker has term next year, while Fleury (and De Haan) are both UFA), so adding another year of high cap hit may take up precious cap space planned for other players.

The 3 unmovables were speculated to be Toews, Kane and Seth Jones, unless they went to mgt and asked to be traded. The others like DeBrincat were that CHI would answer the phone and listen but they aren't actively being shopped. A guy like De Haan who is pending UFA is going to get moved because he's an OK depth dman on the bottom pair that won't cost much to acquire. The guys besides MAF would be major deals that I don't see happening until the off season when teams have their cap plans in order and more flexibility than right now. MAF? He might fetch a late 1st rounder if there is some salary retention in this goalie market and the Capitals have reportedly been in contact.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:10 am

Per taylor haase, Patrick Allvin will be named Vancouver's GM.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:20 am

The Athletic's prospect pool rankings have been coming out over the last few weeks. The Penguins remained in the same spot as last year, 29th overall. While they did add a few pieces (Broz, Bellieveau, Hallander, Lindberg), Scott Wheeler states the problem remains that they have no high-end talent. (When you hear people talking about A/B/C level prospects, A are the high end talent) The Penguins have no A-level talent in their system according to Wheeler. The overall ranking system aimed to look at the top 15 players in the system. Here were Wheeler's ranking for the Penguins:

1. Poulin
----------------
2. POJ
3. Blomqvist
4. Lindberg
5. Legare
6. Clang
7. Hallander
8. Broz
9. Puustinen
------------------
10. Svejkovsky
11. Bellerive
12. Maniscalco
13. Belliveau
14. Ansons
15. Gruden

The dashes represent Wheeler's separation of ratings. He considers Poulin a B+, 2-9 as B/B-, and 10-15 as "interesting players" that may have a strong quality in one area.

On Poulin, Wheeler still believes he can be a middle 6 forward. Says the pro game is showing a bit more of his skating deficiencies and issues with his pace of play. Wheeler believes he will begin to adjust, and we will begin to see more of his "power forward" type qualities emerge.

On the goalies, he described Blomqvist as technically sound, expects Lindberg to get into an NHL game before his contract expires (he has a 2 year deal), and on Clang he's having a down year as he jumped to the top league in Sweden so he's playing against men and struggling a bit, but his play the season before is still enough to like what he sees.

https://theathletic.com/2974323/2022/01/13/wheelers-2022-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-no-29-pittsburgh-penguins/
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:41 am

FLPensFan wrote:The Athletic's prospect pool rankings have been coming out over the last few weeks. The Penguins remained in the same spot as last year, 29th overall. While they did add a few pieces (Broz, Bellieveau, Hallander, Lindberg), Scott Wheeler states the problem remains that they have no high-end talent. (When you hear people talking about A/B/C level prospects, A are the high end talent) The Penguins have no A-level talent in their system according to Wheeler. The overall ranking system aimed to look at the top 15 players in the system. Here were Wheeler's ranking for the Penguins:

1. Poulin
----------------
2. POJ
3. Blomqvist
4. Lindberg
5. Legare
6. Clang
7. Hallander
8. Broz
9. Puustinen
------------------
10. Svejkovsky
11. Bellerive
12. Maniscalco
13. Belliveau
14. Ansons
15. Gruden

The dashes represent Wheeler's separation of ratings. He considers Poulin a B+, 2-9 as B/B-, and 10-15 as "interesting players" that may have a strong quality in one area.

On Poulin, Wheeler still believes he can be a middle 6 forward. Says the pro game is showing a bit more of his skating deficiencies and issues with his pace of play. Wheeler believes he will begin to adjust, and we will begin to see more of his "power forward" type qualities emerge.

On the goalies, he described Blomqvist as technically sound, expects Lindberg to get into an NHL game before his contract expires (he has a 2 year deal), and on Clang he's having a down year as he jumped to the top league in Sweden so he's playing against men and struggling a bit, but his play the season before is still enough to like what he sees.

https://theathletic.com/2974323/2022/01/13/wheelers-2022-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-no-29-pittsburgh-penguins/

With Crosby, Malkin, Letang, even Fleury in their, this was the perfect farm system. I wonder if the Penguins stack up against other teams if you remove A prospects. Doesn’t make the system better, but it gives an understanding of the effects of 15+ years of playoff involvement.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins