Pre-Game Talk Game 26 vs Washington

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Pre-Game Talk Game 26 vs Washington

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:53 pm

And the hits just keep on coming...

Jake Guentzel is now week-to-week with an upper body injury.
Jason Zucker missed practice today. Sullivan said it was a maintenance day.

Expect Boyle or Lafferty to slot in. This would be a nice time to give someone like Poulin, Legare, Hallander, or Puustinen a shot...however, WBS is dealing with COVID issues. Sullivan indicated that he the team would be "reluctant" to recall anyone from WBS at this time (per Taylor Haase).

Lines at practice today (per Pens Inside Scoop):

Rodrigues-Crosby-Kapanen
O'Connor-Carter-Heinen
Aston-Reese--Blueger-McGinn
Simon-Boyle-Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Matheson-Ruhwedel

The first power-play unit is Letang, Crosby, Carter, Rodrigues and Simon.
The second power-play unit is Matheson, Marino, Heinen, O'Connor and Kapanen.

I'm still holding out hope that Malkin returns Friday against Washington or Saturday against Anaheim. He's still skating with the team at practice in the white no-contact jersey. Would anticipate that he should be cleared soon.

Rust is not on skates yet. He was seen today doing some Geno work...stickhandling out the doorway to the bench in street clothes.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pre-Game Talk Game 26 vs Washington

Postby Sams_Dog on Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Simon on the power play. :|
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ericf on Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:57 pm

That’s a horrible forward lineup. Sad to say but Jake was only player who could actually beat a goalie cleanly with his shot…no one else’s release is deceptive (including Sid), which is why our finishing ability stinks. Basically if we don’t get a shot that deflects off a defenseman, we’re just chest sniping the goalie and making him look like prime Hasek. I can’t imagine where we’ll be playing the best team in the league right now (who have the most goals) with our lack of scoring talent. Hard to see a score much different than our last one against the Caps, 6-1 Caps
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:13 pm

The popular rumor out there is that Jake broke his hand...then went out and scored 2 goals with the broken hand. Took a shot off the hand at some point in the game.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:35 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:Simon on the power play. :|

I have no idea why Sullivan refuses to use two defensemen on the power play under any circumstances...
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:22 am

Sigwolf wrote:

I have no idea why Sullivan refuses to use two defensemen on the power play under any circumstances...

To this, and I don't know the answer, who on defense has a howitzer shot that scares the **** out of anyone standing in front of the net, or a laser shot that can pick the open area the opposing goalie offers?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby Crash66 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 am

He's languishing in WBS.
Crash66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:51 am

BigMcK wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:

To this, and I don't know the answer, who on defense has a howitzer shot that scares the **** out of anyone standing in front of the net, or a laser shot that can pick the open area the opposing goalie offers?

Rikola.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HellsKitchen7 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:49 am

Here's the most important question for me:

How do we even watch this game?

Do you guys all have ESPN+ or Hulu Live TV? I pay for cable exclusively to watch the Pens and Steelers. It is literally used for nothing else. Now I have to pay for one of these other services, too? Hulu is $70 a month, ESPN is only $7, but is there a third, more cost effective (free) solution?
HellsKitchen7
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:12 am

Zucker had a "maintenance day" yesterday. He is not at practice again today. Guess it was more than just a routine oil change for Zucker.

Malkin rotating on 4th line, still wearing no-contact jersey.

Penguins are going to need a Sullivan system win tomorrow if they are missing 4 of their top 6 players.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crash66 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:38 pm

What's the BS that the game won't be on tv? That it has to be streamed?Just switched to Verizon after having Dish for 16 years because Dish dropped the regional sports channels. Now this streaming crap.
Crash66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:42 pm

Crash66 wrote:What's the BS that the game won't be on tv? That it has to be streamed?Just switched to Verizon after having Dish for 16 years because Dish dropped the regional sports channels. Now this streaming crap.

$$$$$$$$$

The league got some extra bucks for having a set number of games as stream-only. Since the Pittsburgh market is the best in the US, I'd bet we have more games than most others like that. I think there are 4 this year.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:09 pm

Crash66 wrote:What's the BS that the game won't be on tv? That it has to be streamed?Just switched to Verizon after having Dish for 16 years because Dish dropped the regional sports channels. Now this streaming crap.

ESPN+ is a joke but Comcast has them available so I'll use that stream. It's all about $. UGH !!
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Sullivan says Zucker had another maintenance day today, but he will make the trip to Washington...but Sullivan did not confirm that he would play in that game.

If he can't go, Penguins would have to dress 7 d-men, as they have no other forwards on the roster, and do not want to recall any from WBS due to their recent run of positive COVID tests.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HellsKitchen7 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:26 pm

I ended up shelling out the cash for the Disney+ package, and I plan on canceling after the season is over. I think it's pretty dumb, I would be ok if they made it free to stream, but the fact that you have to pay is a bit ridiculous. I dream of a day where I can ditch cable, and multiple subscription services for one service that just does it all.
HellsKitchen7
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:51 pm

I will say having free Disney plus from Verizon really added value when the nhl went back to ESPN. Otherwise ESPN had 0 value for me but it worked out very nicely.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby battleship kelly on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:46 pm

going to that left wing espn was a giant mistake also.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 pm

Google NHL stream reddit. You have to fight through the ads, but once you figure out the pattern... stuff like it'll do a pop up 3 times, but on the fourth click it plays. Run ublock origin.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:24 pm

Zucker got hurt when a bank security guard tackled him for attempting to cash a check he didn't earn
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins