Pre-Game Talk Game 6 vs Tampa

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Pre-Game Talk Game 6 vs Tampa

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Penguins are undefeated in regulation through their first 5 games, and playing Sullivan's system to a T. Sullivan should be an early Jack Adams candidate.

But today....

This is the order they went out in for line rushes:

Guentzel-Rodrigues-Kapanen
Zucker-Crosby-Heinen
Aston-Reese—Blueger-McGinn
Simon-Boyle-Lafferty

NOTICE.WHO.DAFAQ.IS.NOT.ON.A.LINE???????? :face: :face: :face: :face: :face:

He rotated in on some rushes here and there. He's not injured. Sullivan is just the stubbornest, dumbest sombyatch ever.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pre-Game Talk Game 6 vs Tampa

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Letang confirmed positive today, so he is out in COVID protocol. Haven't heard if he has any symptoms.

Penguins have recalled Kasper Bjorkqvist from WBS, which makes some wonder if another forward may have gone into protocol this afternoon.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sams_Dog on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:40 pm

If I'm Drew O'Connor and I sit against Tampa tomorrow I would be LIVID.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:22 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:If I'm Drew O'Connor and I sit against Tampa tomorrow I would be LIVID.

Well its pretty much been said that Crosby isn't coming back into the lineup tomorrow, so why would he be sitting?
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Penguins are undefeated in regulation through their first 5 games, and playing Sullivan's system to a T. Sullivan should be an early Jack Adams candidate.

But today....

This is the order they went out in for line rushes:

Guentzel-Rodrigues-Kapanen
Zucker-Crosby-Heinen
Aston-Reese—Blueger-McGinn
Simon-Boyle-Lafferty

NOTICE.WHO.DAFAQ.IS.NOT.ON.A.LINE???????? :face: :face: :face: :face: :face:

He rotated in on some rushes here and there. He's not injured. Sullivan is just the stubbornest, dumbest sombyatch ever.

Shocker. Guy can’t get out of his own way.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:34 pm

I think DOC reversed parked into Sully's car or something. Sending him to eat nachos to make way for Lafferty makes no sense to me.

I really, really hope it's so they can play Björkqvist. He's been called up from WBS. Just fearing it's for Laffs.

Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:If I'm Drew O'Connor and I sit against Tampa tomorrow I would be LIVID.

Well its pretty much been said that Crosby isn't coming back into the lineup tomorrow, so why would he be sitting?

Why would you have a workflow where O'Connor isn't part of the lineup, only rotating in? If you are just trying to get Crosby some reps, why aren't you putting DOC where he would go when Crosby comes back, not rotating into lines here and there.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 pm

The first game Sullivan plays Lafferty over a healthy O'Connor should be the last game he is behind the bench.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:53 pm

Jack Adams candidate...

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:14 am

LOL @ those who put their foot down about the winning-est coach and the BEST coach in Pen's history. You want him fired because he doesn't play the number jersey you want? Are they not winning right now? OK JoeBlow...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:53 am

Pitts wrote:LOL @ those who put their foot down about the winning-est coach and the BEST coach in Pen's history. You want him fired because he doesn't play the number jersey you want? Are they not winning right now? OK JoeBlow...

They are winning in a large part because of DOC right now. Unless he’s hurt or on sniffles protocol this doesn’t make any sense.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:55 am

Crosby has been working with Bjorkqvist this morning along the boards. One drill where Bjorkqvist had the puck along the boards and Crosby was "attacking," and then another drill with the roles reversed. Seems like Crosby is amping up the strength testing of his wrist. Board work and faceoffs were the two things he described as being kind of the last hurdle to pass.

Not sure if Crosby has been ruled out for tonight, but wouldn't surprise me if he played. Otherwise, maybe Thursday or Saturday. I don't think it will be too long now unless he has a setback.

EDIT: And right after posting this, Crosby moved to taking faceoffs against Boyle. So he's definitely trying to clear those final hurdles. Maybe a go tonight, or maybe they give it a day or so to see how it responds to the work today and he goes Thursday.

Today was an optional skate, so doubtful there will be line rushes.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:09 am

A look at the Tamp Bay ring. Talk about the bling. I like that they added the player's signature into the ring.
Could be what is weighing them down... so far.

Looks like Sid is getting oh so close to playing. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:14 am

The level of hyperbole without supporting facts is absolutely astounding. It's funny how highly regarded Sullivan is around the league. But in Pittsburgh, he's a bum.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:20 am

Defence21 wrote:The level of hyperbole without supporting facts is absolutely astounding. It's funny how highly regarded Sullivan is around the league. But in Pittsburgh, he's a bum.

People in Pittsburgh complained about Chuck Noll at times. Coaches can't win there.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:36 am

Pitts wrote:LOL @ those who put their foot down about the winning-est coach and the BEST coach in Pen's history. You want him fired because he doesn't play the number jersey you want? Are they not winning right now? OK JoeBlow...

We bow to your insight. They should just sign him up for life right now. After all, he's their winning-est coach. But wait, how did he even get hired? After all, they previously had a winning-est coach, right? Shouldn't they have kept him? I wonder what the Penguins second most winning-est coach is up to these days...

There couldn't be other numerous well-documented issues with Sullivan's coaching, could there? Little things, like their 3-11 playoff record the last three straight years? BTW, he hasn't become their winning-est playoff coach yet, still trailing Bylsma by two games. Speaking of playoffs... Sullivan currently ranks 7th amongst Penguins coaches in playoff win percentage. But what do playoffs matter, as long as they keep racking up those regular season wins. (It took him more games played to eclipse Bylsma's number of regular season wins, as well, but why pay attention to details?)

Every coach on every team reaches their shelf life eventually. That happened with Bylsma, and he ended with a better winning percentage, both regular season and playoffs, than Sullivan has right now. You can scrape the mold off and keep toasting the bread for a while, but Sullivan has shown signs of approaching that shelf life for a while now. He's always gotten good results from a depleted roster, but the results with the star players in place, and most especially, the playoffs, where the cracks are showing. They're off to a fantastic start, but it's a ludicrously small sample size to judge the season at this point.

As for OMG, BEST coach eva!!! Yeah, it's a wonder the Pens managed any wins at all with the previous hacks they've had like Scotty Bowman and Bob Johnson. :lol:
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:39 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Defence21 wrote:The level of hyperbole without supporting facts is absolutely astounding. It's funny how highly regarded Sullivan is around the league. But in Pittsburgh, he's a bum.

People in Pittsburgh complained about Chuck Noll at times. Coaches can't win there.

No one -- except 4th liners, healthy scratches, and young players -- can win here.

Can you imagine how good this team would have been had they kept Rick Berry?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:42 am

Sigwolf wrote:

We bow to your insight. They should just sign him up for life right now. After all, he's their winning-est coach. But wait, how did he even get hired? After all, they previously had a winning-est coach, right? Shouldn't they have kept him? I wonder what the Penguins second most winning-est coach is up to these days...

There couldn't be other numerous well-documented issues with Sullivan's coaching, could there? Little things, like their 3-11 playoff record the last three straight years? BTW, he hasn't become their winning-est playoff coach yet, still trailing Bylsma by two games. Speaking of playoffs... Sullivan currently ranks 7th amongst Penguins coaches in playoff win percentage. But what do playoffs matter, as long as they keep racking up those regular season wins. (It took him more games played to eclipse Bylsma's number of regular season wins, as well, but why pay attention to details?)

Every coach on every team reaches their shelf life eventually. That happened with Bylsma, and he ended with a better winning percentage, both regular season and playoffs, than Sullivan has right now. You can scrape the mold off and keep toasting the bread for a while, but Sullivan has shown signs of approaching that shelf life for a while now. He's always gotten good results from a depleted roster, but the results with the star players in place, and most especially, the playoffs, where the cracks are showing. They're off to a fantastic start, but it's a ludicrously small sample size to judge the season at this point.

As for OMG, BEST coach eva!!! Yeah, it's a wonder the Pens managed any wins at all with the previous hacks they've had like Scotty Bowman and Bob Johnson. :lol:

He's in the midst of a 5 game run without an all star cast of players -- and has yet to lose in regulation, while scoring the the 5th most goals in the league. Sullivan isn't without his faults, but let's calm down on the "fire him if O'Connor doesn't dress" comments. Timing might not be the best for that.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:13 am

The Sullivan supporters always comment on players, especially the stars, not buying into Sullivan's system. Well, if the players don't follow his system, how much of the credit for the wins should go to the coach?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:28 am

Defence21 wrote:He's in the midst of a 5 game run without an all star cast of players -- and has yet to lose in regulation, while scoring the the 5th most goals in the league. Sullivan isn't without his faults, but let's calm down on the "fire him if O'Connor doesn't dress" comments. Timing might not be the best for that.

I tried to point out the bigger picture, and that's your takeaway? Mmmmkay, I got nothing.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:42 am

Jim wrote:The Sullivan supporters always comment on players, especially the stars, not buying into Sullivan's system. Well, if the players don't follow his system, how much of the credit for the wins should go to the coach?

Not much if they're not playing his system, obviously.

Sullivan gives his star players more leeway to deviate and make plays. I think the mantra's always been that they shouldn't force it, or take too many risks and play the way they see the ice. That used to be his go-to for players like Malkin, Kessel and Letang. To a lesser extent for Crosby as well.

I think that's correct, too. You're going to need your stars to flourish and carry your team. If you tie them up fully into system hockey, they're not going to be your win (and loss) factor as often. The rest of the team needs to fit around that; they're mostly not good enough to warrant an exception, or are best suited when kept in a specific role. It's a sliding scale, where you'd like guys like Boyle to play simple, Kapanen to have some more flair and Crosby to have a fair degree of autonomy.

(€0.02)

----------------------------------

No Crosby against Tampa
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Defence21 wrote:He's in the midst of a 5 game run without an all star cast of players -- and has yet to lose in regulation, while scoring the the 5th most goals in the league. Sullivan isn't without his faults, but let's calm down on the "fire him if O'Connor doesn't dress" comments. Timing might not be the best for that.

I tried to point out the bigger picture, and that's your takeaway? Mmmmkay, I got nothing.

And I simply said that now -- given the immediate circumstances -- is not the time to call for his head. If he started without a win in 5 games and the team was a mess, yep, might be appropriate for the discussion. But not when he's showing value.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:26 pm

It’s quite a leap to say anyone questioning why DOC should be scratched at all let alone with Malkin, Carter and Rust still out to calling for Sullivan to be fired.

It is fair to ask what the **** he’s thinking.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:56 pm

Sigwolf wrote:

Way to overblow my point. Apparently, you know much more that Mike Sullivan. Carry on.

Also, I didn't say "winning-est PLAYOFF coach": https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/playe ... -327062080
Last edited by Pitts on Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:58 pm

DelPen wrote:It’s quite a leap to say anyone questioning why DOC should be scratched at all let alone with Malkin, Carter and Rust still out to calling for Sullivan to be fired.

It is fair to ask what the **** he’s thinking.

Where are you people reading that DOC is out? Show me a link or something. You all are firing Sullivan over practice lines!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins