Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Upcoming series: Canadians vs Penguins

Postby DelPen on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 pm

Looked like POJ was already going to make it, I would guess a spot opens up for Czuzman or DiPauli now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:28 pm

DelPen wrote:Looked like POJ was already going to make it, I would guess a spot opens up for Czuzman or DiPauli now.

There were some media types suggesting POJ wasn't going to be around for the final cut of the roster.

Letang, Dumoulin, Pettersson, Marino, Johnson, Schultz as the top 6
Ruhwedel and Riikola likely your top 8
Trotman your top 9
Many had banked on the experience of Czuczman beating out POJ for a 10th defenseman.

I never really saw it. If a Dumoulin or Pettersson goes down, I'd much rather roll the dice that POJ can potentially bring a higher-end all around game even with no experience, rather than sliding Johnson up the lineup, or thinking Czuczman is going to do any better than POJ could.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:41 pm

His only NHL experience was 6 years ago getting 13 games for the Isles who were horrible. I may have fell into the experience trap making assumptions because he was always the call up but it was probably he was the most expendable player to have in reserve and not play since he is what he is now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Montreal giving Max Domi 7 to 10 days to decide if he's going to join the Canadians training camp. As has been mentioned before he's a Type 1 diabetic and would be more at risk if he was infected with the virus.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Here is the training camp roster. 19 forwards, 10 defensemen, and 5 goalies. They can take 31 players with them into the bubble, so three players will be cut from the roster. I think more than likely one goalie and two forwards will probably be cut.

Forwards: Evan Rodrigues, Patrick Marleau, Brandon Tanev, Jason Zucker, Bryan Rust, Jared McCann, Samuel Poulin, Sam Lafferty, Sam Miletic, Conor Sheary, Philip Varone, Zach Aston-Reese, Adam Johnson, Teddy Blueger, Anthony Angello, Jake Guentzel, Evgeni Malkin, Patric Hornqvist, Sidney Crosby.

Defensemen: Chad Ruhwedel, Jack Johnson, Justin Schultz, John Marino, Kevin Czuczman, Brian Dumoulin, Marcus Pettersson, Juuso Riikola, Kris Letang, Pierre-Olivier Joseph

Goaltenders: Casey DeSmith, Matt Murray, Alex D’Orio, Tristan Jarry, Emil Larmi
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:24 pm

At least three Montreal Canadiens players have tested positive for COVID-19, according to Arpon Basu of The Athletic.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:00 am

pens_CT wrote:Here is the training camp roster. 19 forwards, 10 defensemen, and 5 goalies. They can take 31 players with them into the bubble, so three players will be cut from the roster. I think more than likely one goalie and two forwards will probably be cut.

Forwards: Evan Rodrigues, Patrick Marleau, Brandon Tanev, Jason Zucker, Bryan Rust, Jared McCann, Samuel Poulin, Sam Lafferty, Sam Miletic, Conor Sheary, Philip Varone, Zach Aston-Reese, Adam Johnson, Teddy Blueger, Anthony Angello, Jake Guentzel, Evgeni Malkin, Patric Hornqvist, Sidney Crosby.

Defensemen: Chad Ruhwedel, Jack Johnson, Justin Schultz, John Marino, Kevin Czuczman, Brian Dumoulin, Marcus Pettersson, Juuso Riikola, Kris Letang, Pierre-Olivier Joseph

Goaltenders: Casey DeSmith, Matt Murray, Alex D’Orio, Tristan Jarry, Emil Larmi

I would expect one of each position, those three players are essentially your reserves you can select from in case of an injury so there’s really no reason to bring a guy like Czurczman who will never see the ice.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Here were the lines for today's practice:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Rodrigues/Lafferty
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Dumo-Letang
Petey-Marino
Johnson-Schultz
Ruhwedel-Czuczman

Murray
Jarry

Also of note, the Penguins released word roughly 15 minutes before practice that they were holding 9 players out of practice due to possible secondary exposure to COVID-19. The team only learned of this secondary exposure Sunday. These players will be held out until they are deemed safe according to the NHL guidelines.

The team did not release names, but Dejan Kovacevic determined the players missing from practice were:

-Patric Hornqvist
-Anthony Angello
-Sam Poulin
-Adam Johnson
-Phillip Varone
-Sam Miletic
-Juuso Riikola
-POJ
-Alex D'Orio
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Personally I wish the NHL would STOP with the need to have a Cup winner this year. Normal training camp would be about 6 weeks from Aug 1 anyhow so why not just start from scratch with the 2020-2021 season and be done with it already.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 am

stonewizard51 wrote:Personally I wish the NHL would STOP with the need to have a Cup winner this year. Normal training camp would be about 6 weeks from Aug 1 anyhow so why not just start from scratch with the 2020-2021 season and be done with it already.

$$$
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 am

brwi wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:Personally I wish the NHL would STOP with the need to have a Cup winner this year. Normal training camp would be about 6 weeks from Aug 1 anyhow so why not just start from scratch with the 2020-2021 season and be done with it already.

$$$

The only $$$ the league is making is the remaining TV dollars. The NHL TV deal stinks as far as revenue, and that in no way even comes close to the money lost by canceling the remaining regular season games, and have zero fans in attendance during the playoffs. Even if this season was canceled there was no way the 20-21 season was starting in October with zero fans in the arena. Pushing the regular season back to December in theory minimizes the no fan situation until a vaccine happens, which if you believe in fantasy happens around the first of the year.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am

So the 9 players not reporting had some remote connection to someone who knew someone who had Covid. At least that’s how I interpreted the trib article. Connection might be a little more direct than that, but anything can happen in the next two weeks in the pre-quarantine period. There will be at least one team that is favored that will be seriously affected by the virus.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby interstorm on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 am

Southern Fan wrote:So the 9 players not reporting had some remote connection to someone who knew someone who had Covid. At least that’s how I interpreted the trib article. Connection might be a little more direct than that, but anything can happen in the next two weeks in the pre-quarantine period. There will be at least one team that is favored that will be seriously affected by the virus.

And all it takes is a small handful of players catching this now to topple the whole event. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out (for all leagues, not just the NHL)
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 am

interstorm wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:So the 9 players not reporting had some remote connection to someone who knew someone who had Covid. At least that’s how I interpreted the trib article. Connection might be a little more direct than that, but anything can happen in the next two weeks in the pre-quarantine period. There will be at least one team that is favored that will be seriously affected by the virus.

And all it takes is a small handful of players catching this now to topple the whole event. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out (for all leagues, not just the NHL)

Well if they make it to the bubble without issues, they should be in pretty good shape. They're playing in a country with a low number of cases and are being quarantined for the duration of the playoffs. Comparing that with baseball who's traveling between cities, and the NBA while quarantined is still playing in Florida who now has more daily cases than New York at its peak. Of all the professional leagues, I think the NHL has the best chance of pulling this off.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:08 am

Totally in agreement with you. And if the 20-21 season needs to be delayed, so be it. Health and safety of all concerned is of the most importance over entertainment and $$$.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby 100565 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

Totally in agreement with you. And if the 20-21 season needs to be delayed, so be it. Health and safety of all concerned is of the most importance over entertainment and $$$.

I think the NHL attempting to complete the playoffs is an indicator or their dire financial state. I had read (cannot find a link, anyone?) awhile ago that NBC has already paid the NHL. If the playoffs do not happen, the NHL must re-pay - it was over $200million. Coupled with projected loss of revenue due to no fans for next season.

For a couple decades the NHL has been trying its best to expand across the entire US (geographically) to get much better TV contracts. The last deal with NBC sports was by far the biggest and best deal the NHL has had in the US (hence the large increase in the salary cap over those years). It expires at the end of 20-21.

I think the NHL wants to play the playoffs to deliver on their current contract and prove they can fulfill contract obligations so the next TV contract is even bigger. If they fail to deliver, the next TV deal could be less than the last one.

I think the NHL is in survival mode.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:56 pm

100565 wrote:
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:

I think the NHL attempting to complete the playoffs is an indicator or their dire financial state. I had read (cannot find a link, anyone?) awhile ago that NBC has already paid the NHL. If the playoffs do not happen, the NHL must re-pay - it was over $200million. Coupled with projected loss of revenue due to no fans for next season.

For a couple decades the NHL has been trying its best to expand across the entire US (geographically) to get much better TV contracts. The last deal with NBC sports was by far the biggest and best deal the NHL has had in the US (hence the large increase in the salary cap over those years). It expires at the end of 20-21.

I think the NHL wants to play the playoffs to deliver on their current contract and prove they can fulfill contract obligations so the next TV contract is even bigger. If they fail to deliver, the next TV deal could be less than the last one.

I think the NHL is in survival mode.

The current TV contract gives the NHL 200 million per season. So the question is whether the contract has a clause that gives the NHL an out in case of natural disasters, acts of God etc. I would hope their lawyers would have put such language into a contract.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:03 pm

My understanding is that they had contact with someone that had contact with someone with the virus.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:20 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:

My understanding is that they had contact with someone that had contact with someone with the virus.

FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:08 pm

First exhibition game for everyone is Pens vs Flyers on 7/28, unless a lot of people get sick while in the hubs at least we should get to see this team one more time.

Then all the games vs the Habs are 8pm starts which is expected.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 pm

Headline September 2020: Pittsburgh Penguins win 6th Stanley Cup; Rival GMs cry foul

The Pittsburgh Penguins won their 6th NHL Stanley Cup this week, defeating the St. Louis Blues 4-2 in the series. While almost every other team in the modified playoff roster lost one third of their players to COVID-19 precautions or quarantine, the Pittsburgh Penguins made it through the entire playoffs without any major injuries or quarantined players once games started. Rival GMs cried foul, saying this was an unfair advantage for an already stacked team, to which Penguins GM Jim Rutherford said "Suck it numnutz! Have you seen our man games lost each year over the past several seasons? You'll get no sympathy from me!"
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:38 am

The schedule was announced for the qualifying round. The Pens get 8 PM starts in games 1-3. August 1st, 3rd, and 5th. If needed, games 4 and 5 would be played on the 7th and 8th with the time to be determined.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:14 pm

What happened to Eastern teams in the West hub and vice versa? Why do Toronto and Edmonton get 5 game series entirely in their own building?
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Sigwolf wrote:What happened to Eastern teams in the West hub and vice versa? Why do Toronto and Edmonton get 5 game series entirely in their own building?

Because none of the US sites could meet the safety protocols and it never made sense to have the conferences swap for about a dozen reasons. Only Canadian team that missed the playoffs were the Sens so it was going to happen. There’s not really home ice advantage without fans.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:05 pm

There's a number of advantages to playing at home that have nothing to do with fans. If they abandoned the swap, at the very least they should have picked neutral sites. Arena size makes no difference without fans, so there would be plenty of choices that have regulation ice. It just further taints this whole crap show.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins