Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby Penspal on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:13 am

Pens pluck the Leafs 6-1

- No one should be excited about this performance, the Leafs suck very badly and if I were a Leaf fan... . :face:
- Jarry looked decent on the few chances the Leafs had. Tough to stop that snipe from Spezza
- Pens seem to either fall behind or blow teams out. There are of course close games, but not the consistent get out in front and win close games that would be the ideal scenario (how to win in playoffs)
- Hard to believe how solid Marino has been considering he's a rookie straight from college hockey. He may wear out as the year goes along, but its impressive for sure
- We saw McCann shot last year, he's continuing with panache this year! Pens could have a boatload of 20 goal scorers this year
- Glad the refs got the Big Kahuna goal correct, couldn't take 2 games of crappy ref'ing
- Anybody get hurt last night? Are you saying the Pens made it through a game? :shock: :lol:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,790
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:00 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens pluck the Leafs 6-1

- No one should be excited about this performance, the Leafs suck very badly and if I were a Leaf fan... . :face:
- Jarry looked decent on the few chances the Leafs had. Tough to stop that snipe from Spezza
- Pens seem to either fall behind or blow teams out. There are of course close games, but not the consistent get out in front and win close games that would be the ideal scenario (how to win in playoffs)
- Hard to believe how solid Marino has been considering he's a rookie straight from college hockey. He may wear out as the year goes along, but its impressive for sure
- We saw McCann shot last year, he's continuing with panache this year! Pens could have a boatload of 20 goal scorers this year
- Glad the refs got the Big Kahuna goal correct, couldn't take 2 games of crappy ref'ing
- Anybody get hurt last night? Are you saying the Pens made it through a game? :shock: :lol:


The play of McCann and Blueger is making me rethink my attitude of not trading Bjugstad. I know the team needs depth at center, but those two fit the system way better than Bjugstad and the Pens could use cap savings if nothing else.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,096
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Daniel wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens pluck the Leafs 6-1

- No one should be excited about this performance, the Leafs suck very badly and if I were a Leaf fan... . :face:
- Jarry looked decent on the few chances the Leafs had. Tough to stop that snipe from Spezza
- Pens seem to either fall behind or blow teams out. There are of course close games, but not the consistent get out in front and win close games that would be the ideal scenario (how to win in playoffs)
- Hard to believe how solid Marino has been considering he's a rookie straight from college hockey. He may wear out as the year goes along, but its impressive for sure
- We saw McCann shot last year, he's continuing with panache this year! Pens could have a boatload of 20 goal scorers this year
- Glad the refs got the Big Kahuna goal correct, couldn't take 2 games of crappy ref'ing
- Anybody get hurt last night? Are you saying the Pens made it through a game? :shock: :lol:


The play of McCann and Blueger is making me rethink my attitude of not trading Bjugstad. I know the team needs depth at center, but those two fit the system way better than Bjugstad and the Pens could use cap savings if nothing else.

Add in the fact that Lafferty doesn't look lost at center either and also fits the style well. Bjugstad can be made expendable if necessary.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,967
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby largegarlic on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Daniel wrote: The play of McCann and Blueger is making me rethink my attitude of not trading Bjugstad. I know the team needs depth at center, but those two fit the system way better than Bjugstad and the Pens could use cap savings if nothing else.


Yeah, I've been more in the camp that thinks Bjugstad does little things well and will eventually show up more on the score sheet, but at some it just seems like actual health, production, and fit have to trump that theoretical potential. It's hard to justify paying $4 million for a guy who's been injured half the time, only has 1 point in the 10 games he's played, and looks slow now that overall team speed has been upgraded. I don't know that I'd give him away just to clear cap space (a la Gudbranson), but he's definitely moved to the top of the list of guys for me who might have some value in a trade and are expendable.

You might make the same argument about Galchenyuk, but at least he has 5 assists, and it feels like he's getting chances and could break out soon.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,337
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:14 pm

largegarlic wrote:
Daniel wrote: The play of McCann and Blueger is making me rethink my attitude of not trading Bjugstad. I know the team needs depth at center, but those two fit the system way better than Bjugstad and the Pens could use cap savings if nothing else.


Yeah, I've been more in the camp that thinks Bjugstad does little things well and will eventually show up more on the score sheet, but at some it just seems like actual health, production, and fit have to trump that theoretical potential. It's hard to justify paying $4 million for a guy who's been injured half the time, only has 1 point in the 10 games he's played, and looks slow now that overall team speed has been upgraded. I don't know that I'd give him away just to clear cap space (a la Gudbranson), but he's definitely moved to the top of the list of guys for me who might have some value in a trade and are expendable.

You might make the same argument about Galchenyuk, but at least he has 5 assists, and it feels like he's getting chances and could break out soon.


I don't think Bjugstad is a bad player or even necessarily bad for the system (not perfect but not a liability), I just think McCann and Blueger (and someone mentioned Lafferty as well) have made his salary unnecessary. Almost like Gudbranson became too expensive for what he brings because of Marino and, to some extent Riikola, Bjugstad might end up with the same fate. Neither are bad players and the salaries really aren't that bad but the cap space can go towards players more suited to what Sullivan wants.

Also, I thought Rust would be the odd man out for two reasons and not because I think he's a bad player. He's kind of a redundant player and Bjugstad playing center is more valuable. But with Blueger, McCann, Lafferty emerging as solid centers all of a sudden center isn't as valuable as it was in August. Rust having more consistency with scoring would take him out of the redundant player category for sure. He's pretty consistent with the little things but having him and Simon do the little things but don't score is tough and Simon is cheaper.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,096
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:00 pm

If we trade Bjugstad, Rust must be safe! Rust should be safe either way in my opinion.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,267
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Daniel wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
Daniel wrote: The play of McCann and Blueger is making me rethink my attitude of not trading Bjugstad. I know the team needs depth at center, but those two fit the system way better than Bjugstad and the Pens could use cap savings if nothing else.


Yeah, I've been more in the camp that thinks Bjugstad does little things well and will eventually show up more on the score sheet, but at some it just seems like actual health, production, and fit have to trump that theoretical potential. It's hard to justify paying $4 million for a guy who's been injured half the time, only has 1 point in the 10 games he's played, and looks slow now that overall team speed has been upgraded. I don't know that I'd give him away just to clear cap space (a la Gudbranson), but he's definitely moved to the top of the list of guys for me who might have some value in a trade and are expendable.

You might make the same argument about Galchenyuk, but at least he has 5 assists, and it feels like he's getting chances and could break out soon.


I don't think Bjugstad is a bad player or even necessarily bad for the system (not perfect but not a liability), I just think McCann and Blueger (and someone mentioned Lafferty as well) have made his salary unnecessary. Almost like Gudbranson became too expensive for what he brings because of Marino and, to some extent Riikola, Bjugstad might end up with the same fate. Neither are bad players and the salaries really aren't that bad but the cap space can go towards players more suited to what Sullivan wants.

Also, I thought Rust would be the odd man out for two reasons and not because I think he's a bad player. He's kind of a redundant player and Bjugstad playing center is more valuable. But with Blueger, McCann, Lafferty emerging as solid centers all of a sudden center isn't as valuable as it was in August. Rust having more consistency with scoring would take him out of the redundant player category for sure. He's pretty consistent with the little things but having him and Simon do the little things but don't score is tough and Simon is cheaper.

Rust has at least 1 point in 7 of the 9 games he has played in. He has 10 pts. (6g4a). Just how much more do you expect from him?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,334
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:17 pm

- Jarry played great. Stood tall early which kept our momentum in the 1st. Huge.
- Marino led our D in TOI and blocked shots last night. Are you kidding me how good this kid has been so far! Big props to GMJR for stealing this guy for only a 6th rounder and also to whichever scouts pushed hard to get him.
- once again the Snake-Geno-Rusty line looked fantastic. Is there any universe where those 2 wingers both stay with Geno when Sid gets back??? It happened with Kunitz ~7-yrs ago...
- Tanev playing with McCann and Kahun paid off big time last night. Lots of speed there, but had to break up Sully’s “4th line”. Will be interesting to see if that change remains. Tanev’s speed is a difference maker.
- PK remains fantastic. Feels like we are a threat for a shorty every PK right now.
- did anyone else see/hear all the trade talk of either Jarry or DeSmith started last night. Toronto is interested. What would it take to give up one of those guys? Could we get much better than a 3rd round pick in return... maybe a prospect? Goalie depth is something we should hold onto, right?
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:38 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:- Jarry played great. Stood tall early which kept our momentum in the 1st. Huge.
- Marino led our D in TOI and blocked shots last night. Are you kidding me how good this kid has been so far! Big props to GMJR for stealing this guy for only a 6th rounder and also to whichever scouts pushed hard to get him.
- once again the Snake-Geno-Rusty line looked fantastic. Is there any universe where those 2 wingers both stay with Geno when Sid gets back??? It happened with Kunitz ~7-yrs ago...
- Tanev playing with McCann and Kahun paid off big time last night. Lots of speed there, but had to break up Sully’s “4th line”. Will be interesting to see if that change remains. Tanev’s speed is a difference maker.
- PK remains fantastic. Feels like we are a threat for a shorty every PK right now.
- did anyone else see/hear all the trade talk of either Jarry or DeSmith started last night. Toronto is interested. What would it take to give up one of those guys? Could we get much better than a 3rd round pick in return... maybe a prospect? Goalie depth is something we should hold onto, right?

It was Stevens and Young that pushed for Marino. Marino played hockey with Stevens' oldest son while growing up.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,334
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:41 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
Daniel wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
Daniel wrote: The play of McCann and Blueger is making me rethink my attitude of not trading Bjugstad. I know the team needs depth at center, but those two fit the system way better than Bjugstad and the Pens could use cap savings if nothing else.


Yeah, I've been more in the camp that thinks Bjugstad does little things well and will eventually show up more on the score sheet, but at some it just seems like actual health, production, and fit have to trump that theoretical potential. It's hard to justify paying $4 million for a guy who's been injured half the time, only has 1 point in the 10 games he's played, and looks slow now that overall team speed has been upgraded. I don't know that I'd give him away just to clear cap space (a la Gudbranson), but he's definitely moved to the top of the list of guys for me who might have some value in a trade and are expendable.

You might make the same argument about Galchenyuk, but at least he has 5 assists, and it feels like he's getting chances and could break out soon.


I don't think Bjugstad is a bad player or even necessarily bad for the system (not perfect but not a liability), I just think McCann and Blueger (and someone mentioned Lafferty as well) have made his salary unnecessary. Almost like Gudbranson became too expensive for what he brings because of Marino and, to some extent Riikola, Bjugstad might end up with the same fate. Neither are bad players and the salaries really aren't that bad but the cap space can go towards players more suited to what Sullivan wants.

Also, I thought Rust would be the odd man out for two reasons and not because I think he's a bad player. He's kind of a redundant player and Bjugstad playing center is more valuable. But with Blueger, McCann, Lafferty emerging as solid centers all of a sudden center isn't as valuable as it was in August. Rust having more consistency with scoring would take him out of the redundant player category for sure. He's pretty consistent with the little things but having him and Simon do the little things but don't score is tough and Simon is cheaper.

Rust has at least 1 point in 7 of the 9 games he has played in. He has 10 pts. (6g4a). Just how much more do you expect from him?


Rust does this every year, gets streaky then scores nothing. He had 35 points last year, which was respectable, but he had 1/3 of his total points in 7 games. That means he had 24 points in the other 65 games. Simon had 28 points total for far less of a salary cap hit. I understand Rust's game isn't to score 50-60 points but that doesn't mean he should disappear for most of the season offensively. I love how he's playing now and I get that it won't continue, but adding a point here and there isn't too much to ask. Especially when you're playing with Sid or Geno.

I don't think it's too much to ask that's he's more consistent on the score sheet.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,096
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Night in, night out, Pens are putting out the effort.

Last night, our opponent looked like they want their coach fired. Reilly was awful on defense, nylander cherry picked all night giving the pens a 5 on 4 every shift he played, Tavares was average, and their goalie was not ready for prime time.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,383
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:51 am

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:45 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:- Jarry played great. Stood tall early which kept our momentum in the 1st. Huge.
- Marino led our D in TOI and blocked shots last night. Are you kidding me how good this kid has been so far! Big props to GMJR for stealing this guy for only a 6th rounder and also to whichever scouts pushed hard to get him.
- once again the Snake-Geno-Rusty line looked fantastic. Is there any universe where those 2 wingers both stay with Geno when Sid gets back??? It happened with Kunitz ~7-yrs ago...
- Tanev playing with McCann and Kahun paid off big time last night. Lots of speed there, but had to break up Sully’s “4th line”. Will be interesting to see if that change remains. Tanev’s speed is a difference maker.
- PK remains fantastic. Feels like we are a threat for a shorty every PK right now.
- did anyone else see/hear all the trade talk of either Jarry or DeSmith started last night. Toronto is interested. What would it take to give up one of those guys? Could we get much better than a 3rd round pick in return... maybe a prospect? Goalie depth is something we should hold onto, right?

It was Stevens and Young that pushed for Marino. Marino played hockey with Stevens' oldest son while growing up.


Thank you.

It is fascinating the development curve of different prospects.
Scouting is not an easy job.

Those guys nailed it on Marino. If Marino is able to play bottom pair responsibilities once Letang gets back it could be such a luxury for our Pens, but also for Marino to not get overwhelmed and continue to develop confidence. Would also put us in such a better place with Schultz re-signing negotiations.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby largegarlic on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:45 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:- did anyone else see/hear all the trade talk of either Jarry or DeSmith started last night. Toronto is interested. What would it take to give up one of those guys? Could we get much better than a 3rd round pick in return... maybe a prospect? Goalie depth is something we should hold onto, right?


I hadn't heard any rumors about this. Just looking into the situation some more, I'm not sure we have anyone capable of being even an NHL backup in the minors other than DeSmith. It looks like Tokarski has good numbers at WBS, but has only played 3 games and doesn't seem to have an NHL deal (at least he's not listed on Capfriendly as having such). Larmi has only played 3 games and has bad numbers--0.882 save % and 4.05 GAA. D'Orio has been in Wheeling and has bad numbers--0.887 save % and 3.40 GAA. Numbers don't always tell the story, of course, but the goalie depth doesn't seem great on the surface.

So that would make me a little nervous trading DeSmith in the likely (based on history) case that Murray gets hurt and is out for a bit. Especially if we're not getting much in return for DeSmith (and why would we get a good return?), it doesn't seem worth it just to pick up a middling draft pick/prospect.

I wouldn't consider trading Jarry unless someone really wanted to overpay. There's again the likelihood that he'll have to start for a bit if/when Murray gets hurt, he's really starting to fulfill his potential, and he's still cheap.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,337
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Was anyone else underwhelmed with Barrie last night? Several turnovers/questionable decisions.

Just a bad fit in Babcock’s system?
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby largegarlic on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:56 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote: Those guys nailed it on Marino. If Marino is able to play bottom pair responsibilities once Letang gets back it could be such a luxury for our Pens, but also for Marino to not get overwhelmed and continue to develop confidence. Would also put us in such a better place with Schultz re-signing negotiations.


The decision on Schultz is going to be really interesting. At this point, it sure seems like Marino can step into a 2nd-pairing role. I just wish Addison were in WBS already so that we had a better idea of how he was going to turn out. If he were doing well in the AHL and got a couple cups of coffee in the NHL this year and looked decent while doing it, I might be OK letting Schultz walk at the end of the year.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,337
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:16 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:- Jarry played great. Stood tall early which kept our momentum in the 1st. Huge.
- Marino led our D in TOI and blocked shots last night. Are you kidding me how good this kid has been so far! Big props to GMJR for stealing this guy for only a 6th rounder and also to whichever scouts pushed hard to get him.
- once again the Snake-Geno-Rusty line looked fantastic. Is there any universe where those 2 wingers both stay with Geno when Sid gets back??? It happened with Kunitz ~7-yrs ago...
- Tanev playing with McCann and Kahun paid off big time last night. Lots of speed there, but had to break up Sully’s “4th line”. Will be interesting to see if that change remains. Tanev’s speed is a difference maker.
- PK remains fantastic. Feels like we are a threat for a shorty every PK right now.
- did anyone else see/hear all the trade talk of either Jarry or DeSmith started last night. Toronto is interested. What would it take to give up one of those guys? Could we get much better than a 3rd round pick in return... maybe a prospect? Goalie depth is something we should hold onto, right?

It was Stevens and Young that pushed for Marino. Marino played hockey with Stevens' oldest son while growing up.


Thank you.

It is fascinating the development curve of different prospects.
Scouting is not an easy job.

Those guys nailed it on Marino. If Marino is able to play bottom pair responsibilities once Letang gets back it could be such a luxury for our Pens, but also for Marino to not get overwhelmed and continue to develop confidence. Would also put us in such a better place with Schultz re-signing negotiations.

You're welcome. It's good to see Artie doing better. I talked to him up in Buffalo at the prospect tournament and he was very welcoming and he took the time to take several pictures with fans.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,334
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:17 pm

largegarlic wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:- did anyone else see/hear all the trade talk of either Jarry or DeSmith started last night. Toronto is interested. What would it take to give up one of those guys? Could we get much better than a 3rd round pick in return... maybe a prospect? Goalie depth is something we should hold onto, right?


I hadn't heard any rumors about this. Just looking into the situation some more, I'm not sure we have anyone capable of being even an NHL backup in the minors other than DeSmith. It looks like Tokarski has good numbers at WBS, but has only played 3 games and doesn't seem to have an NHL deal (at least he's not listed on Capfriendly as having such). Larmi has only played 3 games and has bad numbers--0.882 save % and 4.05 GAA. D'Orio has been in Wheeling and has bad numbers--0.887 save % and 3.40 GAA. Numbers don't always tell the story, of course, but the goalie depth doesn't seem great on the surface.

So that would make me a little nervous trading DeSmith in the likely (based on history) case that Murray gets hurt and is out for a bit. Especially if we're not getting much in return for DeSmith (and why would we get a good return?), it doesn't seem worth it just to pick up a middling draft pick/prospect.

I wouldn't consider trading Jarry unless someone really wanted to overpay. There's again the likelihood that he'll have to start for a bit if/when Murray gets hurt, he's really starting to fulfill his potential, and he's still cheap.


I think this is where I am at also. Cost-friendly contracts currently with both Jarry and DeSmith... and as you point out, you have to assume Murray injury is a potential with his prone history.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:40 pm

largegarlic wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:- did anyone else see/hear all the trade talk of either Jarry or DeSmith started last night. Toronto is interested. What would it take to give up one of those guys? Could we get much better than a 3rd round pick in return... maybe a prospect? Goalie depth is something we should hold onto, right?


I hadn't heard any rumors about this. Just looking into the situation some more, I'm not sure we have anyone capable of being even an NHL backup in the minors other than DeSmith. It looks like Tokarski has good numbers at WBS, but has only played 3 games and doesn't seem to have an NHL deal (at least he's not listed on Capfriendly as having such). Larmi has only played 3 games and has bad numbers--0.882 save % and 4.05 GAA. D'Orio has been in Wheeling and has bad numbers--0.887 save % and 3.40 GAA. Numbers don't always tell the story, of course, but the goalie depth doesn't seem great on the surface.

So that would make me a little nervous trading DeSmith in the likely (based on history) case that Murray gets hurt and is out for a bit. Especially if we're not getting much in return for DeSmith (and why would we get a good return?), it doesn't seem worth it just to pick up a middling draft pick/prospect.

I wouldn't consider trading Jarry unless someone really wanted to overpay. There's again the likelihood that he'll have to start for a bit if/when Murray gets hurt, he's really starting to fulfill his potential, and he's still cheap.


I agree that trading one would create a depth issue at goalie. Where are the Penguins weakness that trading Jarry or DeSmith can help with? Also, if Murray prices himself too high to sign do you go with Jarry/DeSmith next season? Would Jarry/DeSmith at the cost be a better value than Murray/Jarry(DeSmith) next season?
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,096
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:54 am

Daniel wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:- did anyone else see/hear all the trade talk of either Jarry or DeSmith started last night. Toronto is interested. What would it take to give up one of those guys? Could we get much better than a 3rd round pick in return... maybe a prospect? Goalie depth is something we should hold onto, right?


I hadn't heard any rumors about this. Just looking into the situation some more, I'm not sure we have anyone capable of being even an NHL backup in the minors other than DeSmith. It looks like Tokarski has good numbers at WBS, but has only played 3 games and doesn't seem to have an NHL deal (at least he's not listed on Capfriendly as having such). Larmi has only played 3 games and has bad numbers--0.882 save % and 4.05 GAA. D'Orio has been in Wheeling and has bad numbers--0.887 save % and 3.40 GAA. Numbers don't always tell the story, of course, but the goalie depth doesn't seem great on the surface.

So that would make me a little nervous trading DeSmith in the likely (based on history) case that Murray gets hurt and is out for a bit. Especially if we're not getting much in return for DeSmith (and why would we get a good return?), it doesn't seem worth it just to pick up a middling draft pick/prospect.

I wouldn't consider trading Jarry unless someone really wanted to overpay. There's again the likelihood that he'll have to start for a bit if/when Murray gets hurt, he's really starting to fulfill his potential, and he's still cheap.


I agree that trading one would create a depth issue at goalie. Where are the Penguins weakness that trading Jarry or DeSmith can help with? Also, if Murray prices himself too high to sign do you go with Jarry/DeSmith next season? Would Jarry/DeSmith at the cost be a better value than Murray/Jarry(DeSmith) next season?

Funny how much a month or two of the season can change views. At the beginning of the season, I would have easily traded Rust, Bjugstad, Jarry, or DeSmith to help alleviate cap space or help the team in another area.

Of those 4, Bjugstad is the only one I am ready to give up on, and its a shame. On paper, his production compared to his TOI was exactly what the Penguins needed in a 3C. However, he's also been injury prone in his career, which we are seeing this year. McCann and Blueger can likely handle the 3C role. Bjugstad is very expendable right now.

I wouldn't move Rust at all. He's playing at a point per game pace, and, I really see a revival of the the rookie year Rust. He has that drive and determination again. He's making plays at 5on5 and the PK. His speed and tenacity is noticeable often. He's the type of player they need to keep. My early season concern was his cost plus Tanev costs, but, these players are key to the Penguins system.

On Jarry and DeSmith.....Jarry seems to have finally learned how to be a backup. He's playing well in limited starts. Unless there is an ask for him in a considerable trade, I would not move him. By considerable trade, I mean I wouldn't dump him for a 3rd round pick for the sake of making a deal. Now, if the Penguins had a deal for a Taylor Hall type, and Jarry needed to be included, that is a different story. But for now, I'd hang on to Jarry and DeSmith.

The Galchenyuk clock is ticking. He's making plays, and I'm hoping he gets a goal in the next 3 games and the flood gates open, but, it needs to happen soon.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,094
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:55 am

largegarlic wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote: Those guys nailed it on Marino. If Marino is able to play bottom pair responsibilities once Letang gets back it could be such a luxury for our Pens, but also for Marino to not get overwhelmed and continue to develop confidence. Would also put us in such a better place with Schultz re-signing negotiations.


The decision on Schultz is going to be really interesting. At this point, it sure seems like Marino can step into a 2nd-pairing role. I just wish Addison were in WBS already so that we had a better idea of how he was going to turn out. If he were doing well in the AHL and got a couple cups of coffee in the NHL this year and looked decent while doing it, I might be OK letting Schultz walk at the end of the year.

From an output standpoint, he's right where he has been, around .95 points per game (21 points in 22 games). I have no idea if he has improved defensively. He's a Letang type in that he likes to attack offensively, and aggressively, which can lead to issues on the backend.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,094
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Game 20 vs Laughs - Thoughts from the Mauling After

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:54 am

Great confidence boost victory.
Top marks to Harry.
They are threadbare in depth, so great to read about Hornqvist skating.

Congrats to GMJR- enjoy the ceremony.
I hope Sid has been released from Philly hospital.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,515
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Pingvin na vsyu zhizn


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


e-mail